Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-20-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
The restoration of Lady J, the beginning...

I took the train down and rode with the new owner to inspect a Kettenburg 40 rumored to be hull number one. We found her in a special shed/shop combo in the foothills of Oregon where she's been for the last 18 years under the stewardship of a gentleman by the name of Rudy Selvern. While I don't know her launch name, I do know she will be called the "Lady J" when I'm done with her.

I was amazed at how tight the seams were on this boat that had been out of the water for over 18 years. There's a bit of putty missing from a few spots but overall, she looks ready to go in right now.

Here are a few photos of the hull. For some reason, the flash on my wife's camera didn't wanna work so I'll have to wait for more pictures from the owner, who took many.

Here's one of the keel area....

and the rudder...

Does anybody know if the K-40 transoms are planked mahogany or ply?

Here's where Rudy opened her up for drainage because he yearly washed her down on the inside to get rid of dirt and critters.

The deck is still good non-skid over canvas over ply and seems solid with no evidence of leaks. The bilges still have a look to them as if they came out of the factory no longer than five years ago. I saw one rib butt that looked soft and nothing else yet. There are four ribs that cracked in the bilge that were sistered. The wood in the cracks looks fresh still with no graying or discoloration.

The mast was rebuilt by reefing the joins and reglueing with West Systems. Rudy, being an Engineer, was so precise as to level the current mast rack with a laser to keep it from hogging. I can follow behind somebody like that as far as completion of the work is concerned. I don't yet have interior photos but will post them up when I get some. Trust me, it's even cleaner than the exterior.

We hope to have her in the yard by the end of the month.

At least I don't have to consider cold molding her anymore, not with a hull like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2010
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Can't wait to see what she looks like after you lavish a bit of TLC on her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Our little blog has moved!
Old 06-20-2010

Insails is on a distinguished road
shhhh

Is that the ping of a caulking mallet I hear???) good Luck with her!
Old 06-20-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Wow Charlie! she going to be shipped back to Maine? I did a quick look up on sailboat data.

my current "project"!
Old 06-20-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Maine? I'm in Bellingham WA. It's about 370 miles from where she is to the shop. When she's complete, she'll likely find a home down in Shilshole or Elliot Bay and cruise the Sound, Alaska and maybe Mexico.

Old 06-20-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Oh my bad sorry.. I was out in the sun too long already.

my current "project"!
Old 06-20-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

mahogany on oak. look at those seams! 18yrs on the hard and still tight!

my current "project"!
Old 06-20-2010
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Sweet.
Old 06-20-2010
On the hard

She's in amazing shape. No cold molding for this one. She looks tight enough to go in the water right now. I'll post up more when I get 'em.

Old 06-20-2010
On the hard

Here's a couple of more...

and

one more