SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   HELP! Salt Water Pump (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/6580-help-salt-water-pump.html)

nauticalrich 03-24-2003 03:21 PM

HELP! Salt Water Pump

You are probably going to say, "not again"
But I have another problem.
I followed directions in my Universal diesel manual and removed the sea water pump for winter storage. Now I can''t get it back together.
Here the scenerio: Universal 14 hp in my 1985 ODay sloop. Removed impeller for winter. Purchased a new one. Neither the new one nor the orginal one seem to fit. I get it on the shaft but the only thing I can''t get on is the impeller snap ring. The impeller is so flush with the end of shaft I have no exposed goove to snap it into. Its as if the impeller is to wide but it is the same as the older one.

There must be a secret.

When I removed the impeller originaly, the shaft came out just a fraction and then right back in. It seems to be sitting ok and you can''t turn it. So it must be in where it belongs. Other than that I cannot understand why I can''t get it to the groove.
It looks impossible, whats the secrete?

Its the Orberdorfer. One pecular thing is that the manual states that if you pulled the shaft out by mistake you must remove the pump with two cap screws which attached it to the engine. I have 4 (bolts?).
Nothing is ever clear.

Denr 03-25-2003 04:18 AM

HELP! Salt Water Pump

Nauticalfilthyrich:

Sounds as if you''ve got ten thumbs. You''ve most likely dislodged the drive key in the shaft. This is probably preventing you from seating the impeller. The end of the shaft normally has a flat on it; this is how it is driven. It mates with one of the timing gears on the front of the engine that has a mating flat receptor. Hire a mechanic.

kokopelli9 03-25-2003 06:27 AM

HELP! Salt Water Pump

Dennis,
Slap you on the hand...the sailor is asking for help. Give it to him...without the attitude.

kokopuff

Denr 03-25-2003 06:52 AM

HELP! Salt Water Pump

Please hire a mechanic.

nauticalrich 03-25-2003 08:24 AM

HELP! Salt Water Pump

I just did.

I like to understand the mechanics of things and the one problem is that the manual does not match what''s on the engine. The manual also states to carry a spare impeller. If you can''t put the damn thing on in case of an emergency then it''s worthless, unless you hire a mechanic at sea.
Experience is sometimes the best teacher. I will try to be there when he repairs it.

The only thing that made me nervious is that he said when the engine is running the shaft might protrude a little forward. I think he is going to pull the shaft out a little and then put the impeller and snap ring on. Personally, I don''t think that will work and he will have to remove the pump anyway.
I hope he doesn''t ##### it up.

nauticalrich 03-26-2003 04:03 AM

HELP! Salt Water Pump

Hey Denr

I finally got a hold of the previous owner. Explained my situation with the snap ring and impeller, etc.
His reply was that it is a fairly new pump that was installed (that''s why the pump does not match up with the manual) and he had the same problem.
When he tried to reinstall the impeller for the first time it would not fit. He called the yard mechanic in. The mechanic new the secret. He marked the shaft, pulled it out and assembled the impeller onto the shaft.
He then re-inserted the shaft in the same position.
I have postponed the mechanic. Will try at lunch time and let you know.

By the way I am the guy with the dripless stuffing box that leaked. He said it gets an air bubble sometimes and has to be "burped". Somehow this air bubble in the boot causes it to leak. He was in a hurry so we agreed to discuss later (School Teacher).

He''s a real nice guy who bought a new boat and actually misses his old one.

Will let you know outcome.

Denr 03-26-2003 05:23 AM

HELP! Salt Water Pump

That''s the flat on the end of the shaft I was referring too, this has to be lined up with the mating flat on the engine gear it is driven from when reassembled. Don''t forget the paper washer between the pump body and the cover, it''ll leak if missing or crimped. I think most mechanics will tell you that it is probably unnecessary to pull out the water impeller for winter lay-up. It''s not as if the impeller would dry out and crack because it is immersed all winter in polypropylene glycol, the non-toxic engine antifreeze.

nauticalrich 03-26-2003 08:39 AM

HELP! Salt Water Pump

Hey Denr, it''s in. Was a piece of cake once I knew how it works. Guess since it is not the original pump the directions in the manual do not apply. No real way of knowing without asking the previous owner.

I''m thinking of popping it in neutral and trying to start it after work. If in neutral the shaft should not move at all.
Don''t want to screw up the drippless stuffing box until Sat when a mechanic will be with me. That''s when we plan to motor it over to the Cove for haulout.
Fingers crossed!!!!

Tks for replies.