Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-26-2010
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbrown View Post
Im with capnblu on this one, the coolant is under pressure and so the only way oil could enter the water is if its coming from an area of the engine where there is oil pressure or when the engine cools maybe a tiny bit of oil could be sucked in from a non pressure area but I wouldn't tear the engine apart just yet. The engine is running okay so compression test and oil analisys is appropriate and i would flush the cooling system and refill and then monitor for awhile

Mitch
My understanding is that the coolant system is under 12-15PSI....oil pressure is much higher than that.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2010
Crealock 37

No oil cooler or tranny cooler.

The boat is an '86 model, nothing to indicate the engine has ever been replaced so I assume it's an '86 model as well.

About compression testing...used to do it on my airplane but had a sparkplug hole for access to the cylinder. How do I compression test on a diesel? via the injector?

S/V Elnora

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2010
Crealock 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnblu View Post
"Engine oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure. "

Only in the passageways to the bearings and lifters if so equipped. Not in the head.

I also suspect an oil cooler as the culprit.....
I am always amazed at how many people want to pull the head off their engine, without a compression test.

Yeah...as I thought about it I realized that as well about the oil pressure.

Trust me, I just want to go sailing, no desire to pull the head off.

I really appreciate the thoughts/advice/ideas.

Thanks folks.

S/V Elnora

Old 06-26-2010
Crealock 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Any chance there is an OIL COOLER built in to the heat exchanger?
I don't think so. I have a service manual for the engine, I'm not seeing an oil cooler in any of the diagrams. It would be spiffy if that was the issue.

S/V Elnora

Last edited by sailak; 06-26-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2010
Crealock 37

Did some searching for compression test info, read several comments that a compression test isn't as worthy on a diesel due to smaller combustion area volume, any little speck of carbon, drop of fuel can cause large differences in compression readings.

Should the compression test be the leak down type we did on aircraft engines? Any good books I could buy on this stuff?

Another thing....as I thought more about what is going on I remembered that last year just after buying the boat I noticed what appeared to be oil in the expansion tank for the radiator and the radiator fluid was nasty, nasty looking. I flushed, cleaned and refilled...been good since then.

S/V Elnora

Old 06-26-2010

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=sailak;617102]Did some searching for compression test info, read several comments that a compression test isn't as worthy on a diesel due to smaller combustion area volume, any little speck of carbon, drop of fuel can cause large differences in compression readings.

wow really, there goes my career.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
Old 06-26-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Dale, a leakdown test will only tell you about the rings, not the head gasket or head.

A compression test might give you some meaningful information. Probably would. The question is still, where can oil and water cross in that model engine--except the head/gasket. If there's no place else, you need to pull the head.

If there was oil in the coolant some time ago, and then things seemed OK for a while, but it is back again? That's a sign of a warped head or a crack, that heats up under use and allows the oil/water connection only after the engine has gotten nice and hot, and the warp (or crack) expands.

An engine or radiator shop should also be able to rent/loan/sell you tools to check this out at the heat exchanger. You can do a dye test for exhaust gas in the coolant, or excess pressure (meter attached instead of pressure cap) in the system, both signs of the cooling system being "connected" into the cylinders, which it should be. If the problem is only between the oil and coolant, not into the cylinders, that would be meaningless though.

A good mechanic, or engine shop, should be able to give you diagnostic information locally. A decent engine manual should also have diagnostic troubleshooting charts in it, for a relatively objective and expert opinion and process.
Old 06-26-2010
Crealock 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnblu View Post
wow really, there goes my career.
Not disputing or arguing. Just pointing out things can be a bit confusing for someone with little experience/knowledge in the field.

S/V Elnora

Old 06-30-2010
Crealock 37

Follow up

Yanmar is a bit of a pain when it comes to who their dealers/distributors can sell to....if you're not in the area they can't sell to you.

I've been able to locate a couple of head assemblies in the US, so if needed I'm okay there...assuming "my" dealer can find them.

Started taking the heat exchanger off and found this:

Can someone remind of why this happens? I remember it being mentioned in a thread but I didn't find anything in a search.

S/V Elnora

Old 06-30-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
If that's the butt end of the exhaust manifold, the blockage is a 'coke' formation caused by excessive unburned fuel passing through the combustion chambers, sticking to the HOT side walls of the exhaust manifold and slowly 'roasting' into coke.
Usual causes include bad injector timing, use of degraded fuel, bad injectors, engine that is being 'lugged' (from an 'over pitched' propeller) or any 'combo' of the above.