SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Old style CDI furlers

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  knothead 
#1 · (Edited)
Called "reefer" Mine is in pretty sad shape, until I can afford a new furler of any mfg, is there something to can do to get it to spin easier? I think the plastic to plastic bearing surfaces are gummed up or something. I'll take it apart if we get a break in the hot weather, take a look see.. suggestions?

Looks like this:

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks knothead! I was looking through McMaster Carr's stuff.. Delrin is a slippery plastic. I'm wondering if I could get or make a washer like thing for between the surfaces. I think that's what the new CDI uses

#4 ·
I'm almost sure that there isn't enough space to insert any material between the surfaces. But I suppose you could give it a shot.
Believe me, if you smooth out the roughness and coat it with the dry lube, it will make a world of difference.
Then it's important to rinse the unit out as well as you can after using it in the future to keep it clean and salt free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.