Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-27-2003

nikkos is on a distinguished road
cabintop rot at base of keel-stepped mast

I am currently looking at purchasing a certain 77 29'' Pointin, Evelyn design and have found one problem.

It has been neglected for the past year or so, and in that time the waterproofing has come off of the six square inches of cabintop in front of the mast as it passes through on its way down to the keel, where it''s stepped. The wood under that proofing has rotted, and a large chunk of it has fallen away, leaving a four inch gaping hole straight down into the cabin below.

Is that hard to fix myself because of something I haven''t thought of? And I dont'' know if the cabintop is cored, but would that lead to saturation? It''s been sitting like this for some time - enough for the cabin to collect a good deal of water and sit with it for a winter, becoming a biology experiment gone awry.

Are there any potential hazards here? Is it repairable, or something to run away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

The Able Pointin in a neat boat which very much influenced the design of the year later J-30. It was introduced at Block Island Race Week, at the same series as the J-24 and both boats were seen as real breakthough designs in the write ups that covered that event. Of course that is 27 years ago and a lot has happened since then.

There were some unigue issues with the original Able Pointin 29''s such as the engine being located forward of the mast. (Some had the engine further aft.)

As to your leakage problem, it is hard to visualize what you are describing. On a keel stepped mast of that era, the mast usually passed through an opening in the deck that is larger than the mast. The hole, called the ''partners'', was reinforced to withstand the load of the mast against the deck. Wooden wedges, typically a soft wood like cedar, were then jambed between the mast and the partners to fix the masts position side to side, and fore and aft. Over the top of this was a rubber or canvas boot. Over time the wedges would rot out if not protected and using the old shims and wedges as a guide it is quite easy to make new one. While I can''t say for sure since I have not seen the boat in person, generally the partners of that era were constructed of beefed up solid glass and so rot should not be a problem, BUT these were near custom ideosyncratic race boats and as such who knows how the partners were constructed. I would also be concerned about the impact of leaks on key structure such as bulkheads and chainplate attachment. Chainplates of that era were often simply a plate bolted to the bulkhead and when wet the bulkheads would rot out. This arrangement needs to protected from deck leaks and of course they rarely were so bulkhead rot at the chainplates was fairly common. You need to check the bulkheads carefully for rot.

Jeff
Old 03-28-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Opps hit send by mistake,.....You can tap out the deck in the area around the mast for delamination. If it sounds hollow compared to adjacent deck areas then you probably do have some core rot. This is not the worst area to repair and if I remember correctly these boats don''t have a headliner so a repair should not be that difficult.

If the boat is cheap and in reasonable shape other than aesthetics, whatever else you do, you need to have the boat fully surveyed top to bottom before buying it.

Jeff

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.