SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

cockpit lockers...need advice!

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  doogymon 
#1 · (Edited)
these dont look very water tight, anyone have experience with them?

any tips for improuvements would be welcome.

I can permenantly seal both on the right side as I have easy acces from interior.

#2 ·
that foam hose that often goes around metal pipes can be cut in half and used as a seal, i use it to close the top of my drop in slats during severe weather, and have been advised (here) that it will seal lazzerettes (sp?) effectively as well

#3 ·
you think a simple seal is enough to do the job?

Thats what I wanted to do at first, sea the 1/4 on the inside of the grouve, thats where I wanted to put my seal so that water chanels in the grouve to the drain hole.

is it better to ceal the entier grouve and be done with the drain hole and tubing?

#4 ·
It looks like you've got other things that would be higher on the list than this! They look like a lot of other lazarette hatches I've seen. They're not supposed to be underwater. And any water that lands on them should just run off. I am surprised that there are no drain channels to let water that does land there to run away unobstructed.

#5 ·
actualy there ar drain holes everywhere along the wall, you may not see them in photos but they are well placed for quick drain.
I just started working on the boat, sins I am doing work on the cockpit might as well make whatever changes witch can improuve.

#6 ·
clean them out, clean them up, and then get a couple of rolls of closed cell adhesive backed weatherstripping like this:

and apply it to the surface of the rim of the locker around the inside edge of the drain groove. This will seal any gap between the lid and the locker rim, without losing drainage ability, and it will also make your lids quieter.

#10 ·
shes a thompson t24 british desing, not much info on this boat on the web. however shes known as seaworthy and comfortable cruiser.

I have no experience with any boat, this boat in on dry and when it rains water leaks inn buy these hatches, well actualy water drains inn from the tubbing witch is what its suposed to do.

I am under the impresion these hatches would be a potencial problem in heavy weather, they dont lock and ar basicly wood on wood.
the seals will surly be a good thing.

#13 · (Edited)
jobi
Of all the boats I have owned, the cockpit lockers on all except one (British Westerly 25) were like yours including my current CS27. As long as the hatches are sealed with the foam shown in a previous post they will be fine. Make sure there are positive latches to keep them tightly closed against the seal.
The picture was taken before you cleaned the boat, wasn't it?

#14 ·
hey hello Brian
yes the photos taken when I first got the boat, she will be like new by next week. thans for the info and advise, I will put some latches and seals.

I find it odd that a boat built for blue water have such lose hatches, shurly they have big waves in ingland right?
rgds

#16 ·
I believe this is on topic, I recently aquired a new vessel a Vanguard 33' . Dinette arrangement, which I believe I am going to gut the dinette and customize this space with a desk and wall mounted flatscreens on the forewal. removing the table and replacing it with a dropdown table on hinge or something similar to open up the space when inslip/anchored and working and secure the open shelf portside of the cabin. However this is all probably for another thread. The reason I am here is this..

If you look at the dinette image, the quarterberths extend beyond a lipped wall with openings to the last ~30%, ok normal so far, but it appears that any original partitions or liners from that point back are removed, this allows direct access to the aft locker and around to the other side from both berths, also there are no locker compartments from the cockpit access hatches allowing flow through access to the the entire lower aft region when locker doors are open. I have been tracking down as many images as possible of these design to see how the originals or any modified arrangements are outfitted, but while there is a decently sized community am still having problems getting the info I need...

my thoughts, molding new draining cockpit lockers and mounting them in place, adding a partition to the rear area with access doors effectively seperating the aft locker from the berth area and allowing for some additional storage beyond the end of the bed. and adding seperating/access panels to the interior side of each berth seperating it from the controls/wires/manual-bilge/etc currently exposed.

Any thoughts on this subject are greatly appreciated:
locker construction methods?
partition construction methods?
secure storage access panels?
practicality of design ideas?
things I may not be thinking of?

its a bigish project but when completed will allow much more segregation of my storage and access/sleeping arrangements in the aft section. Which in turn opens up much more space in the main cabin for the beginning project and others...

cheers,
slax

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.