Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-01-2010

jfdubu is on a distinguished road
I've done this but I was lucky. When the bottom of my 10' 15 yo achilles fell out I kept the five wooden floor pieces and side rails. My replacement dingy is an 8' w/a high pressure floor. That was Ok for a couple of years but I spilled something on the floor (gas?) a now a section is always sticky, like glue that won't cure. i cut down the floor parts and installed. problem solved.

If I were starting from scratch I would inculde space for foam pipe insulation around the edge of the boards, chaff protection.

Any advice in solving the sticky problem?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2010

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdubu View Post
I've done this but I was lucky. When the bottom of my 10' 15 yo achilles fell out I kept the five wooden floor pieces and side rails. My replacement dingy is an 8' w/a high pressure floor. That was Ok for a couple of years but I spilled something on the floor (gas?) a now a section is always sticky, like glue that won't cure. i cut down the floor parts and installed. problem solved.

If I were starting from scratch I would inculde space for foam pipe insulation around the edge of the boards, chaff protection.

Any advice in solving the sticky problem?
Acetone will remove any residue and should dry out the surface. Then you could always use some inflatable boat paint over that to protect it.

Gene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 02-03-2011

hns1934 is on a distinguished road
dinghy floor

I can't decide on an 8 ft air or slat (roll up) floor. Which is more stable when stepping into it from the boat?
Old 02-03-2011

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Here is an alternative to plywood: one inch pink or blue closed cell foam as often found at your big box hardware store. Sand each side to remove the thin layer of plastic, then laminate a layer of 6 oz fiberglass cloth and epoxy to each side. finish the top side with paint to provide UV protection for the epoxy. It will be very light and plenty stiff. If you want to add a central strip as described by Heinzir, above, it can be shaped with a surfoam tool or a finish sander
Old 02-03-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I think you would be well to inspect the floors of a sport boat with the sort of floor you are suggesting.

Mine is 4 pieces of 1/2-inch ply. the edges are well rounded and the tender has an extra layer of Hypalon on the perimeter; some sort of protection seems wise. 3/4-inch is over kill.

The 4 parts are connected with removable beams near the outside that pop into wooden L-channels and are held in place by the tubes. I'm certain I could knock one out a replacement in wood, as good as new, in a few hours. I bet you could do it in 2 pieces, but it would be a bear to take apart and put together, which is fine if you are not doing it often.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-03-2011

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
I was using my old inflated floor dinghy last year, and
used my young nephews bodyboard/boogieboard to
stabilize floor when I needed to stand...what a great material light, rigid, waterproof, no hard corners and cheap. Thought I might try to buy some material and cut to size, don't know if material comes finished have not got that far yet.
material could be...Dow polyethylene, Arcel or polypropylene...not unlike Michael K's suggestion.
Hugo