SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Pulsing kerosene stove (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/66108-pulsing-kerosene-stove.html)

Frozensurfer 07-01-2010 07:40 PM

Pulsing kerosene stove

Does anyone know why my stove always pulses when lit?
Thanks

DwayneSpeer 07-02-2010 11:53 AM

music

Keeping time with the music?

It's probably related to a partially clogged feed tube or at least that's where I'd look first.

Westlake2 10-13-2010 04:52 PM

Stove

What brand and model stove is it?

erps 10-13-2010 05:19 PM

As the tank heats up, it develops pressure. As the pressure increases it sends more fuel to the burner, which in turn lowers the pressure. Repeat several times a minute. I have an old Coleman white gas lantern that does the same thing. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

sailingdog 10-13-2010 07:15 PM

Doubt his tank is that close to the stove... :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by erps (Post 654049)
As the tank heats up, it develops pressure. As the pressure increases it sends more fuel to the burner, which in turn lowers the pressure. Repeat several times a minute. I have an old Coleman white gas lantern that does the same thing. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Frozensurfer 10-13-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westlake2 (Post 654040)
What brand and model stove is it?

It's a 3 burner hillerange
it seems to pulse more with a full tank
and the tank isn't close to the stove.

Westlake2 10-13-2010 07:39 PM

Stove

Sorry, not familiar with it. The full/part empty comment should be right, since air will compress more than fuel.

Good luck.

erps 10-13-2010 08:25 PM

Hmmm, our Princess kerosene stove had the tank directly under the burner top. Where's your tank?

sailingdog 10-13-2010 08:30 PM

Is the stove a gravity fed design? If so, is the tank vented in any way? If not, it could be air trying to get into the tank... which would happen more with a full tank, since the air space is smaller and it takes less time for the vacuum to build to the point it'd need to draw air into the tank. If the tank is vented, check the vent line for a clog.

niebur 10-13-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 654115)
Is the stove a gravity fed design? If so, is the tank vented in any way? If not, it could be air trying to get into the tank... which would happen more with a full tank, since the air space is smaller and it takes less time for the vacuum to build to the point it'd need to draw air into the tank. If the tank is vented, check the vent line for a clog.

A GRAVITY FED kerosene stove??? :rolleyes: Never heard of such a beast. All kero stoves I know are pressurized.

And yes, the tank is close to the burner. In a well-designed stove the tank gets warmed up by the burners so usually you don't have to pump it up again during use. If there is a need for manual pumping, I take it as a sign that I have to refill the tank.