Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Guys:

Again the whole purpose of me spending so much time doing theses videos was to hopefully inspire some people who have never done any wood working to give it a go....and those that have done some to stretch into something they maybe haven't tried....You don't need a fancy shop..all this could be done on a set of saw horses under a tarp somewhere.

Hopefully using the clock in the videos and showing how little time it really did take will also help convince some to try it. ..I haven't gone back and tallied the time all up but Im guessing around 10 hours total including install....at 90.00 per hour yard rates + 30 to 100 % mark up on materials that's easily a 1000.00 savings with the added reward and satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself....My wife has already lavished me with praise and kisses...I would not have gotten that for writing a check for it..

Let me repeat here that the only power tool you really need for this project if you purchase dimensioned lumber is a table saw.... and a cheap one at that with a good blade in it... every single other process can be done by hand ....that and a few good clamps will give you the same results I did....

Thanks to those whom took the time to post a remark or questions and comments...that means a lot to me, and keeps me going...I always have fun sharing what little I know about something and picking up other tips and tricks along the way....and always hope it truly helps someone else.

Scott
Ol'H34 likes this.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 08-05-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Scott...does this mean she is back in the water ? I've not seen anything showing a launch. Did I miss something ?

A

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-05-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Scott...does this mean she is back in the water ? I've not seen anything showing a launch. Did I miss something ?

A
Not quite yet Andrew....we are very close ...but for this yard ( La Conner Maritime services ) that means weeks...so I have given up on setting a date....it will be what it will be.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 08-05-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
The router with the formica bit (?) was brilliant! It's those kinds of little secrets that make a ton of difference.

As for cost - what would be the rough cost of the lumber (since I don't have a bunch of freakin' trees in my garage)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-05-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Not quite yet Andrew....we are very close ...but for this yard ( La Conner Maritime services ) that means weeks...so I have given up on setting a date....it will be what it will be.
Well make sure you let me know when it happens. One of these days old pal we is goin' for a sail on that girl......

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-05-2010
Handsome devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Well make sure you let me know when it happens. One of these days old pal we is goin' for a sail on that girl......
I wont let the day slip by ya womby...I promise....and Im holding you to that sail...
Shoot!.. she will be in top shape for you and the Wombets vacation here in another year or two...

Smack...Re: cost of materials.....Id just have to google it up myself....go for it.. ....But I always appreciate your words of appreciation my friend...Thanks for that...

If you ever get up this way I'll let ya carve your initional in the floor just like Mrs. Johnsons said you use to do to your school desk......

Old 08-05-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Stillraining,

As a tile and marble contractor for over 30 years, I love to watch the other experts do their work. We make it look easy, but it takes years to get the moves down. Anyone can do what we do if they take their time, and are patient in getting it right. Your video was well done and to the point, and naturally having the right tools makes the difference.

Very good work!
Old 08-06-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
As a tile and marble contractor for over 30 years, I love to watch the other experts do their work. We make it look easy, but it takes years to get the moves down. Anyone can do what we do if they take their time, and are patient in getting it right. Your video was well done and to the point, and naturally having the right tools makes the difference.
You make a very good point. I can do a lot of things. The problem is that I can't do them nearly as well, or as efficiently as someone with the skills developed over time. Example, when I decide to tile my bathroom, I could do it myself and the job would turn out 'ok'. OTOH, I'd rather hire a professional to do it as it will be done well and not takes months to get done.

It really is a pleasure watching someone work who is good at their craft. As Jiffy says, they make it look so easy.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
Old 08-06-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
You make a very good point. I can do a lot of things. The problem is that I can't do them nearly as well, or as efficiently as someone with the skills developed over time. Example, when I decide to tile my bathroom, I could do it myself and the job would turn out 'ok'. OTOH, I'd rather hire a professional to do it as it will be done well and not takes months to get done.

It really is a pleasure watching someone work who is good at their craft. As Jiffy says, they make it look so easy.

Dave
That's why you hire me to do your tile work, and I hire you to do my eye glasses so I can see what I'm doing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.