Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Galley Sole Replacement

Well the mast went back in the boat yesterday as I played rigger, and the yard is nearing completion of all their to do items, so it is now my turn to start putting the interior back together.

Im not going to spend a ton of time doing this at this point but will work on it as time permits, this project has taken a year to long as it is, and Im past ready to go sailing.

But one of the item's on the must do list was to replace the galley sole...So I made a Part 1 video today of a couple hours work in the wood shop.

One of my hobbies is taking wood from standing timber state all the way to furniture...I usually have a stack or three of various species of drying and fully cured wood, sticker stacked in my shop...Im seen using some of that in the video for the galley sole.

I thought Id start things off with my yards theme song..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 07-03-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2010

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
I have a quick question, does it matter which way you place the crown of the cherry wood? I noticed in the mock up that you placed some up and some down but does it matter?

Looking forward to seeing part 2!
Old 07-03-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Its a habit...

Not important for the 1/4" strips but very important for gluing together anything of any width...Its not the crown your looking for but the cup direction of the growth rings that you want to stagger..one up the next down the next up..etc.

Not as critical when your gluing to a backer board like I am here, but for a free standing edge glue it will keep the surface from getting too crazy on you...the wider the pieces the greater the chance for future cupping....run all the pieces with the grain the same way and you could end up with a bathtub out of your once flat table top.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 07-03-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-04-2010
Handsome devil

So not having the adhesive I want to use, I didn't glue up today but I spent a few minutes tinkering anyway...take a peak.

Old 07-04-2010

Nice. I know it can definitely be difficult colour matching things up. I would consider another quick coat of stain just to darken it up a tad more, but really.. it looks great.
Old 07-04-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Damn it Scott. That was good. You are certainly a dab hand in the workshop.

Interestingly enough I thought the Helmsman looked better but I guess the video colours would not be true to life so its hard to tell. All varnishes tend to darken with age though..don't they ?

Looking forward to seeing the old girl out for a sail...shoot, even just floating would be a start. Its been a long hard road. Admirable perseverence on your part.

Cheers me old mateeeee........

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-05-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Nice, Scott!! Getting closer!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 07-06-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Linoleum?

Excellent work, but good god, who would put down linoleum on a sole in the first place? I haven't seen the boat in general but I'll bet my wife's stockings that you had a real challenge when you started out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2010
Handsome devil

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Well I finally made it past the building supply center and picked up the adhesive I wanted to use it was even on sale..3.49 + tax...some of you may wonder at my choice and why not go with a marine product...My answer is simple...The construction industry has been around as long as the boat industry and their R&D is just as stringent.

This is not a below water line or topside application..their is absolutely no reason to pay high dollars for a marine sealant here...Sub-floor adhesive or what I chose will do just fine.

FWIW...I pealed off some 30 year old sub-floor adhesive off my glue gun and it is still pliable and tough to break.

Hopefully I am starting to convince some of you with this how to...that this is a doable project for you and doesn't need to take hours and hours to do...A table saw and a few clamps ( you can rent them) is really the only required tools you will need for this, and that can be the 200.00 bench top model as well.

My choice to use my own lumber necessitated the planner but buying dimensional lumber removes that requirement... I also just ran wild the boards off the sub-base and will trim with a router after sanding, this is my lazy and fast way of doing it but you could just as well cut everything perfect to fit as you go.

Believe me it has taken longer to put together and edit these video's then this project has taken.

Up next sanding, trimming and and finish.

Last edited by Stillraining; 07-10-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-12-2010

That looks great! Really looking forward to seeing the end result. Did you miss a piece or leave it out intentionally on the right side of the hatch? Looks like there is a gap there.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.