Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-08-2010
Gemini 105Mc Hull# 1089

FatCatMultihulls is on a distinguished road
Leak in the hull

hi im new to this forum so if i do something wrong just let me know , anyways this past may we bought a brand new Gemini 105Mc. we went down to maryland and we decided to bring it back up on our own. as we were on our way up we noticed that there was a leak in the right hull near the kitchen. my father thought it might of been the fresh water line for the water tanks came loose during rought weather,so we went back there and tightend it and we called it a day. well ovr the next week or two we still noticed that there was a small leak so we went in the hull and tried to see if there was a leak in the through holes were the speed and temp. insturments are or maybe it was comming through the center board trunks.we spent an hour just staring at it and still no luck so we drained all the water out and left it to be. well ovr this fourth of july, it had been a week sense we checked it, we woke up to the water comming through the floor boards. so we drained it alll out,went home and came back with our dive gear and went down and looked for a crack in the hull.we saw nothing. not a crack or anything. now we Had a Gemini before and we have never had these problems. if you guys have any ideas on what we should it would be great cause if we cant find it we may have to pull it out of the water for the season...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
IF you purchased a brand new boat in May and it's leaking like this, I would think a call to the dealer in Annapolis might be in order? Shouldn't They help resolve the problem? If this is a warranty issue, I wouldn't do anything to void it.
Old 07-08-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Is the water fresh or salt?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-08-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Performance Cruising Inc - Performance Cruising | Gemini 105Mc Cruising Catamarans for Sale | Telstar 28 Trimarans for Sale

ask for Neil Smith or Will H.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2010
Gemini 105Mc Hull# 1089

FatCatMultihulls is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
IF you purchased a brand new boat in May and it's leaking like this, I would think a call to the dealer in Annapolis might be in order? Shouldn't They help resolve the problem? If this is a warranty issue, I wouldn't do anything to void it.
we tried to contact them and they never called us back, and we have tried many times but still no awnser, and yes it is a salt water leak.
Old 07-08-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Wow, that's incredible that they wouldn't call a new owner back!
Time for a certified return receipt letter? ( maybe with an Attorney's letterhead)
Old 07-08-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
This would be a dealer I would not want to purchase a boat from... if they continue to not respond, perhaps it would be good if others knew the name.
Old 07-08-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
FatCat,

This is some kind of sick joke right? I cant believe they have not called you back, sounds weird and oddly familiar. I would be documenting everything and taking many pictures.

I'm sure though you will get it solved with the help from the builder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 07-08-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that Performance Cruising recently split up, and the Gemini catamarans and the Performance Cruising name were bought out by a management company owned by Laura Hershfeld, whose father, Tony Smith, designed the Gemini catamarans and owned the company previously. Laura has partnered with The Catamaran Company and the Catamaran Company now runs the Performance Cruising marina and is a dealer for their boats as well IIRC.

Neil Smith and Will Hershfeld are no longer with the company or its other part, Performance Sailing, which is the company that was formed by Tony Smith to handle the Telstar 28s. Neil, last I heard, was working for a wind turbine manufacturer, and Will was working with his own web design company.

I know Tony Smith, Will and the rest of the people at Performance Cruising and Performance Sailing fairly well, as I am a fairly well-known Telstar 28 owner and fairly active in the sailing community. I have also sailed on several Gemini catamarans, including the 3000, 3200, and 105 Mc models.

The company is in flux, and I'd suggest you call and ask to speak to Laura—not Will or Neil, since neither is with the company. Tony is currently in the process of building a Telstar 28, which has been referred to as the Telstar 28 Alaska Edition, since he and his wife intend to do a passage from Alaska down the Pacific coast of North America in it, and isn't readily available.

Have you tried posting a message on the Gemini forums over at yahoo.com? If you still need to contact someone and want me to try and get a hold of someone for you... please let me know via PM.

I'd also point out that my experience with Performance Cruising in terms of warranty support has always been quite good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-08-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-08-2010

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR
I second SD's recommendation to join and post this question on the Yahoo Gemini group. The group has many active members who can help you track down this leak.

We also purchased a new Gemini and had excellent support from PCI in tracking down and repairing an intermittent engine problem. Be persistent and pleasant; they'll help you out as best they can.