Osmosis dryout - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 03-31-2003 Thread Starter
Osmosis dryout

I had a thought on possibly speeding up osmosis dryout and wondered if anyone had ever tried it. What about throwing in generous quantities of industrial dessicant and then making an airtight seal with plastic or visqueen around the water-logged spots? I''m in Hong Kong where the humidity in the air is 80-90% nearly year round. It gets a bit better between Oct. and Jan, which is when I plan a dryout, but still will be around 70%. Any ideas on how to ensure the dryout takes place would be appreciated.

Scott Neuman
S/V Eroica
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 04-01-2003
Osmosis dryout

My major blister experience is now closing in on 15 years. Having gone through it, I continue to have a morbid curiosity and keep abreast of current trends. Having been in HK, I can understand your predicament with relative humidity.

Up until recently, heat applied externally and internally was the major accelerating tool for blister dry out. Now, visqueen tarps and vacuum pumps are gaining favor. Your dessicant concept may add a favorable twist to the concept.

The vacuum concept performs well above freezing and in all ranges of RH. Surprisingly, the pump requirements are modest - 3 to 6 psi.

As you prepare for this project, be ready to mark the blisters with a crayon or chalk as quickly as possible after the boat is pulled and pressure washed. Even 24 hours later, some will subside to the point of invisibility.

Here''s hoping you are dealing with gelcoat blisters, only!!!

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.