SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   halyard slap (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/66291-halyard-slap.html)

QuickMick 07-08-2010 01:20 PM

halyard slap
 
Even with lines taut I occassionally get that halyard slap when the wind picks up. any tips on the best way to eliminate this completly, if possible?

thanks
Q

jcalvinmarks 07-08-2010 01:29 PM

If you're talking about when you're at anchor or at the dock, you can fasten the main halyard to the end of the boom, making it an auxiliary topping lift, and the jib halyard to the deck fitting for the jib tack.

QuickMick 07-08-2010 01:31 PM

great idea! that noise is just pesky.

sailingfool 07-08-2010 01:33 PM

Clip the jib and spinnaker halyard shackles to the bow pulpit and the main to the rail or to the end of the boom. If the halyards run external, use a short piece of line to tie them to the shouds, away from the mast.

btrayfors 07-08-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingfool (Post 620611)
.....If the halyards run external, use a short piece of line to tie them to the shouds, away from the mast.

Yes. This is a common problem, especially in tradewind areas. Best solution I've found is to do as sailingfool says, but use nylon/Dacron sail ties instead of line. Tie them tight with bow ties (like your shoes). Won't slip. Easy to release when needed.

Bill

F4d3d 07-08-2010 01:46 PM

I heard of someone who fastened a little U-shaped hook a few inches in on the back side of his spreaders. When he dropped his sail, he just gave the halyard a little flick to secure it inside the u-hook, and then put a few turns on the winch for some tension. Supposedly, the halyard never again smacked the mast.

Faster 07-08-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F4d3d (Post 620617)
I heard of someone who fastened a little U-shaped hook a few inches in on the back side of his spreaders. When he dropped his sail, he just gave the halyard a little flick to secure it inside the u-hook, and then put a few turns on the winch for some tension. Supposedly, the halyard never again smacked the mast.

Neat idea... my only concern would be catching those hooks when you didn't want to.....

bungee cords can also be used to pull external lines away from the mast, but I agree with Bill that sailties are best.

Internal halyards should be clipped anywhere off the mast when moored or the boat's left at the dock. Not everyone enjoys the "windchime" effect at the marina - but what gets be is how some people can sleep inside their own boat with halyards slapping...

ottos 07-08-2010 02:02 PM

Have you tried running a bungee from the halyard to a shroud (or anything handy) to pull the halyard off the mast?

F4d3d 07-08-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 620624)
Neat idea... my only concern would be catching those hooks when you didn't want to...

I wondered the same thing, but thought it was worth sharing.

genieskip 07-08-2010 02:36 PM

I have the exterior parts of the halyards covered, but what about when they slap inside the mast? Any good ideas on that?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012