Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-08-2010

ebs675 is on a distinguished road
Painting a fiberglass hull ?

Hi all,

I have been interested in learning to sail for some time now, and just recently I obtained a project sailboat. It is a 13.5 foot flying junior. The sail, mast and boom are all in good shape but the hull has sat outside for the last 20 years, upside down on the trailer. I want to restore it to sail-able condition and any tips would be appreciated.

1.) As long as there is no fiberglass damage, when repainting, do I just need to sand down the hull, and then primer and paint the same? Or, is it more involved than this? I am not interested in wining any awards, I just want it to be usable.

2.) What is the recommended paint and primer? I would like to do it as cheap as possible.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
BTDT.

Before:

During:

After:

Sand, prime, paint. I used interlux products throughout, primer underneath Brightsides single part polyurethane, thinned with 333 reducer. A quart goes a LONG way. For a great description of the steps invloved, go to the interlux site,

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/diy/me...ing-guide.aspx
Old 07-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Before trying to paint it, I'd try and see if the gelcoat can be restored. Try Maine Sail's polishing and waxing instructions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2010

CapTim is on a distinguished road
+1 on the gel coat work before sanding idea.

Gel coat goes on amazingly thick.. anywhere between 35 and 50 mils, sometimes more. For comparison, most paint goes on at around 3 to 5 mils. So you can spend a pretty fair amount of time working with a 600 grit paper before you do any real 'damage' to the gelcoat.

You might consider - and keep in mind, i'm just some nimrod from an internet forum - simply starting with a 180 grit sandpaper (use light pressure, don't rub 'over' edges, and keep moving around) for the really ugly stuff, if there is any. Then move to a 320, do until everything looks about even. Finish with some 600, then get a standard automotive buffing compound, your favourite drill, and buff away. I'm always surprised what an afternoon of sweat can do for gelcoat.

Failing that, paint is always an option. A little fairing compound (think: fancy bondo) is easy to apply, can be sanded down to remove any dents/scratches/blemishes, and then painted over to make a shiny hull like the one painted above. But paint is not cheap, and if you are thinking of doing it yourself expect to finish the project wishing you hadn't started it. I know.. everybody says they enjoyed it. I think they are lying, based in large part on the delusions suffered while enduring the painting experience.

Guess who didn't enjoy painting a sailboat by hand?

Anyway, that's my two pennies. Which is over inflated, even adjusting for current inflation.

Living aboard, currently in the Chesapeake
O'Day 37, still new to us
Old 07-09-2010

garyguss is on a distinguished road
I second reviving the gelcoat...
Wipe the hull down with acetone first on some clean rags to remove any wax. Use gloves.
Then get a hose and wetsand it by hand with 220 wet/dry sandpaper wrapped around a sponge, then go up to 550, then finish it with 1000, you can get all the stuff you need at any auto parts store.
If you have a buffer you can use that or just use a good paste wax and apply by hand.
Go sailing
You want it to look okay, but the point is to go sailing with it, not to take it to the car show
Old 07-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, here are MAINE SAIL's instructions: LINK

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-09-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-09-2010

CapTim is on a distinguished road
I move that we change the phrase "many ways to skin a cat" to "many ways to sand a boat".

That is all.

Living aboard, currently in the Chesapeake
O'Day 37, still new to us
Old 07-10-2010

Thanks all for the tips. Unfortunately, buffing this boat will not be an option. It has sat in the sun for 20 years, and I believe it was painted in the past before its hiatus.

I apologize if this topic has been brought up elsewhere, but I did do an extensive search of the web and could not find answers to my specific questions. Also, another reason I started a new thread is because I wanted to take pictures today and then ask some specific questions based on the pics.
Old 07-10-2010

I am a little bit stuck right now regarding the prep work on my boat , so I am curious if someone might be able to take a look at the below link. I have posted two pictures with questions. Any tips would be appreciated.
Boat pics and questions
Old 07-10-2010
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
If it were me, I would use some sort of paint-stripper or a heat-gun to get the old paint off, then give it a light sanding with some 220 grit (or so). Once you have it all prepped, paint it with a one-part polyurethane (I've had surprisingly good results with EasyPoxy; forget about the two-part stuff, it's a pain-in-the-ass). A little brushing thinner, and several thin coats (with very light fine-grit sandings on all but the very last coat), will give you a much better finish. You won't get a mirror finish --- but it's a boat, not a vintage show car.

Oh yeah, make sure you let the paint cure for a couple of weeks before you put it in the water. As long as you don't leave the boat in the water overnight, one-part polyurethanes are fine for use below the water-line.

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 07-10-2010 at 04:06 PM.