Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-09-2010

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
Nav lights LED replacement?

Can anyone help with a LED replacement for either the bulbs or the fixtures of the from two nav lights on our boat?
We are looking for something that looks close to what we have or at least will fit in relatively the same foot print.

Our nave lights curve at the bottom to fit the cap rail with a rubber mount. I suppose we could fabricate one if need be.
I asked at Downwind marine in San Diego but they came up empty.
Some one must have gone through this already?
The original ones are Perko.
I know we could put a new one on the bow pulpit but we would like to keep the original style if we can and the cap rail will end up with 5 holes in it one being large if we remove them. We do have a mast head tri-color.
Thank you,
Chip

Last edited by SanDiegoChip; 07-09-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: images did not show
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Bebi

Try Bebi electronics in New Zealand. They do all sorts of LED configurations. Here is their version of a running light. Marine LED Running Light Bulb Replacement Assembly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Look at the Aquasignal Series 32 running lights. They're reasonably priced compared to many of the others and USCG certified, unlike the Bebi lights.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Look at the Aquasignal Series 32 running lights. They're reasonably priced compared to many of the others and USCG certified, unlike the Bebi lights.
Yes, except that the Aquasignal look nothing like what he currently has and I believe one of his high priorities was to use what he had or a direct replacement.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 07-09-2010

imiloa is on a distinguished road
LED bulbs only

What about just replacing the (type 90 I presume) incandescent bulbs with LEDs rather than trying to replace the entire fixture? Maybe this? Dr. LED 2nm Visibility 15mm Bayonet Base After-Market LED Replacement Bulbs for Navigation Lights.

I'll be interested in what you finally do here.
Old 07-09-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
If the bulb is replaced in the existing fixture they would not be Coast Guard approved. The Coast Guard only approves complete fixtures.
I would think a combination red/green on the pulpit would be more visible as it is higher. The existing holes can be finished nicely with bungs you can purchase at West marine or elsewhere after filling with thickened epoxy.
Old 07-09-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
I just replaced the stern light with an LED. It was $35 and fit right in the existing fixture. I'm pleased and will be replacing all my interior lights next week with LED lights.

The LED at the stern is really really bright.

Why would these lights not be Coast Guard approved? They going to inspect actual lights in fixtures?
Old 07-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
These lights are not USCG certified for use in any fixture. The only LED replacement bulb that Dr. LED had that was is for the AquaSignal 40 anchor light, and since they've re-designed the bulb since it was approved, I doubt even that one is.

I'd also point out that Dr. LED's website is very misleading and their customer support is horrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imiloa View Post
What about just replacing the (type 90 I presume) incandescent bulbs with LEDs rather than trying to replace the entire fixture? Maybe this? Dr. LED 2nm Visibility 15mm Bayonet Base After-Market LED Replacement Bulbs for Navigation Lights.

I'll be interested in what you finally do here.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The coast Guard cannot pass a light bulb unless they test it in the fixture it matches. They test for brightness and visibility to the specified distance. Colored (red/green) nav lights are not white leds in a colored housing. They are colored leds in a clear housing. They also have to be overbright when new as leds lose brightness over time. In the case of the Lopolight, a high quality nav light they are certified to be the required brightness at the end of the 5 year warranty period, running 24/7. If your boat was in an accident at night, even if you were not at fault, and there was a court case over it, if your lights were not Coast Guard approved you could be held at least partially liable. Brightness of the lights isn't the only thing that counts.
Old 07-09-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Good to know. Always something new popping up. going to have to check out the brand name next time I hit the chandlery.