SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

short haul bottom cleaning

852 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 ·
I have an ablative paint on my bottom, which hasn't gotten as much use as I'd like, and I can see some growth on the rudder and WL. The paint jobs only 3 months old.

I am having it shorthauled tomorrow to inspect damage done from a rock collision. I'm figuring I might as well wipe down the bottom while its out and save me having to pay a diver.

Aside from a powerwasher/hose which I won't have available tomorrow, whats the best way to clean the slime and such off while in the slings?

#4 ·
Wipe lightly with a cloth or soft-bristled brush....if growth is agressive, use a scotchbrite pad...but that may take off more paint than you'd like.

#6 ·
Stop by the supermarket and look for those 3M "scrunge" pads, or similar "plastic wool" pads like a Dobie Pad.

The plastic scrubber stuff actually is sold in auto body shops and janitorial supplies as well, each color is a different "roughness" so you can select the one that works best for you. On a hull, pretty much anything works just ease up on it so you don't just chew all the soft bottom paint off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.