SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Specs for Oday 31

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  nauticalrich 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get the specs, mainly for the rudder configuration on a 1985 31 ft Oday?

There is nothing on Oday Boat Owners page.

#2 ·
Try D&R Enterprises in Aschnet Mass, sorry I don''t have the phone number. Rudy, the owner used to work at the O''day factory at that time and he bought a lot of the equipment and some of the molds. He may also point you to someone else who could help if he can not.

Good luck

#5 ·
Just bought 1985 31ft Oday and left in water over the winter. Just hauled out and noticed the front top portion, very tip end of the rudder had been hitting the bottom of the hull and gouged out a small area. You can lift the rudder when it is amidship and it hits at that spot. The yard said I was missing a bushing. I saw a few other older Odays in yard and they did not have as much play up and down on the rudder as mine nor did they have any bushings on the rudder post.
There really isn''t much room to put a bushing on the rudder post on mine as when you turn the rudder the area closes up, gets close to hull.
Just want to know if in fact this model had a bushing between the rudder and hull or if there is an adjustment inside for this.
The previous owner never had a problem and it did not show up on the survey. Unfortunately my manual shows nothing on this configuration.

#7 ·
I don''t know for a fact that your 85'' is the same as my 79'' 30, but it sounds as though they''re the same set up. the 31 was the same hull as the 30 except they changed the stern to put a swim platform on it. if it has the fiberglass tube bearing set up, then the up and down movement won''t hurt anything. the trailing upper edge will bump the hull at its extremes of movement. The up and down movement is caused by wear on the top of the tube and the wear plate that is a coller over the the rudder post. the tube should be greased a few times a season to minamize wear on the fiberglass tube. I keep a grease gun in the area right next to the tube so I don''t have to keep bringing one to the boat to lube it. that way its always handy. you don''t even want to think about replacing that tube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There isn''t any bearing between the top of the rudder and the outside of the hull. even if you put one there you would only change the the point at which the rudder bumped the hull. a worse secanario would be for the rudder to be rubbing all the time at the post.

#8 ·
Finally someone that has a similiar type rudder configuration. No one seems to understand the situation. Even the yard wants to drop the rudder and install a bushing or spacer between the rudder and keel. When you turn the rudder the area between the hull closes up as you said. Can''t see a spacer, or bushing fitting in that area. My rudder is actually very close to the hull, closer than the older boats.
When you turn the rudder, the area where the post enters the rudder and hull also closes up.

The real damage is when the rudder is straight. A small area is gouged out right above the top front of the rudder. The rudder is real heavy and I can''t see how, when amid ship, it would float up and rub. However you can lift it up and it hits in this area. I have no problem when you turn the rudder as it does slightly touch the hull but there are only slight marks which is ok.
I saw some older boats in the yard without the swim platform. They had alot more room from the bottom of the hull to the rudder.
Also I tried to lift them and they seemed to stop prior to the leading edge hitting the hull. Mine goes straight up and hits. Sort of like something is missing inside. I,m a little lost of the tube configuration but above the quadrant there is a gap and the rudder post is open in that area. Thought maybe something might have been clamped around that area?

I''m going to the yard and give them your emai.

By the way, where are you located?
Be nice to be able to email you direct.
My email address is nauticalrich@prodigy.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.