Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-14-2010
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Refrigeration conversion

I am investigating refrigeration conversion kits. The 2 systems I am looking at are the Waeco Cold Machine and also the Frigobar package systems. This goes into my J/34c which is a lake-bound weekender/vacation boat, not a liveaboard. The present icebox is ~6 cuft with 3" insulation all around. It is top loading. My questions are:
-How important is freezer capability (to you) rather than making it refrigeration only
-Anyone have experience with either system that they would share
-Any recommendations different than the systems I have listed.

Thanks for your help!!
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
If you're planning a 12VDC unit I think those with the "Danfloss" compressors and the heat exchange with the air flow over coils by a small fan are the most energy efficient. Of course, heat exchange with the water has a better coefficient, but too much energy is required to pump the water. Many of these units with a cold plate can be made with the cold plate in a freezer box and a vented flow to an adjacent refrigeator box. Nigel Caulder has a great book out on marine refrigeration that has good insulation advice. Good insulation is MOST important to your success. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 07-14-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Frigoboat is a very efficient system with water cooling and no water pump. Very highly rated (#1 by Practical Sailor).
Welcome to Frigoboat.com
Old 07-14-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Cold Machine

I have a cold machine in a box close to what you describe. It works very well and I've used it continuously for several months at a time over three past summers. I installed an extra cooling fan that the fridge controller turns on and off as needed. It cools the compartment the compressor sits in. Mine has a less than 50% use factor i.e. the compressor is on less than 50% of the time when the fridge is turned on.

When I bought my boat used twelve years ago in had the fridge installed. It worked well over two of the referenced summers but when I was planning my third summer out I replaced it with a new one. It was a simple installation and accomplished one afternoon.

I like to be able to make ice cubes for my evening cocktail so a freezer is important to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 07-14-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Dwayne--

I would appreciate knowing how you wired the extra fan to your unit. I'm dealing with having to replace a compressor/condensor unit now and may need to add supplemental cooling capability as you did.

Thanks--
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-17-2010
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning toward the cold machine with a small freezer with the door. No one seems to know anything about the frigibar (not frigoboat) systems. They are advertised for less than $1k and you can get a lifetime exchange warrenty with them and they are using the Danfoss BD50 compressor, but still I cannot find anyone that has experience with them. Again, thanks to all!!
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

Old 07-18-2010

jdair101 is on a distinguished road
I installed a nova-kool LT201-RT4 system in my 5.5quft box. I went with the freezer compartment so I can keep meat on the boat instead of having to take it home during the week. Oh ya I need ice cubes for the wifes drink. It has the danfos 35 compressor and I also added a second fan with ducting to vent the compartment outside the boat. The second fan hooks up to the same connection as the fan for the condensor.
When running it draws 3amps and is running for a bit less than 50% time. It made ice cubes in less than 18 hours.
I did add extra insulation where I could but am unsure of how much there is in some places. I know where I drilled the hole for the lines it has 3.5".
Customer service is good as I had a few questions yesterday and sent them a e-mail and they got back to me today (Sunday).
http://www.novakool.com/products/doc...eet2008pdf.pdf
Old 07-18-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Dwayne--

I would appreciate knowing how you wired the extra fan to your unit. I'm dealing with having to replace a compressor/condensor unit now and may need to add supplemental cooling capability as you did.

Thanks--
The compressor control unit has a place to wire in the auxilliary fan already installed. It turns it on and off as it needs it.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 07-18-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by j34035 View Post
I am investigating refrigeration conversion kits. The 2 systems I am looking at are the Waeco Cold Machine and also the Frigobar package systems. This goes into my J/34c which is a lake-bound weekender/vacation boat, not a liveaboard. The present icebox is ~6 cuft with 3" insulation all around. It is top loading. My questions are:
-How important is freezer capability (to you) rather than making it refrigeration only
-Anyone have experience with either system that they would share
-Any recommendations different than the systems I have listed.

Thanks for your help!!
DD

You should also consider the new 12V Sea Frost system. Cleve has developed a very cool new 12V unit to augment his engine driven refrigeration line. The customer service with Sea Frost is second to none in the industry. I am a customer for life because they've treated me beyond even my wildest expectations. Small company EXCELLENT products, support and service..

Sea Frost

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-18-2010

f182 is on a distinguished road
HI on Gallivant we installed an Australian system Ozefridge this has be a great system. Easy to retro fit in a tight, small opening ice box. Its 12 volt system with water assissted cooling for the tropics
Welcome to Our Website worth a look