SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   long or short shaft? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/6648-long-short-shaft.html)

lee_1999 04-03-2003 06:40 AM

long or short shaft?

I have a 1964 S&S Rainbow 24'' sloop. It''s my understanding that it normally needs an outboard with a long shaft. But, this particular craft has been modified with an inboard well for the motor. Does that change anything? It seems like a short shaft would now work. But, I''m not really sure. Does anyone know how to determine this?
Thanks.

foxglove 04-10-2003 06:10 AM

long or short shaft?

The only reason I have used long shafts is to keep the prop in the water when rolling over large waves which is a problem with transom mounted outboards. I would guess that if your engine well is sufficiently forward of the transom and you don''t think your prop will lift above the water in rolling seas then either shaft length would work.

jparker11 04-10-2003 07:35 AM

long or short shaft?

You don''t state the location of your sailing venue. If you are mostly subject to light chop (less than 2'') the forward location (in the well) may reduce the hobby horse action enough to keep the prop in contact with the water at all times.

If not, I would suggest experimenting by running across the stern wake of a large power boat in calm wind conditions. Few things are more dangerous than cavitating an outboard auxiliary on a lee shore!!! I have watched a couple of hot race competent skippers with lightweight OB''s fall into this trap.

As I often singlehand in sloppy conditions, the longer the shaft - the better!!

maxcontax 04-10-2003 09:22 AM

long or short shaft?

If you are powering out of rough seas, I would say that the long shaft is a must. but if you are on a lake and need power for calm wind situations, you may get away with a short leg. Measure the top of transom to waterline on your boat, and then measure the top of transom to the plate above the prop on the OB motor. You need a leg that long at least!

pirateofcapeann 04-10-2003 09:34 AM

long or short shaft?

I vote for the long shaft too.

Pi

lee_1999 04-14-2003 05:28 AM

long or short shaft?

Thanks everyone for your help. I am presently sailing in Colorado, so it is only on mountain lakes. But, I have a trailer and anticipate possibly heading for the coast on occasions. So, it sounds like maybe I should play it safe and go for the long shaft.

LCDR George 04-17-2003 06:06 PM

long or short shaft?

I think you are right on track with the longshaft. I sail San Diego Bay all the time, and I have a long shaft on my 25 foot LANCER. It really makes a difference in rough weather. If you are planning to sail on the coast, stay with the long shaft. Good luck. George