Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-16-2010

adamavis is on a distinguished road
help! Rough running engine

Hi,

I recently acquired an ericson 25 which came with an OMC Saildrive 15. The engine has had some work, including the iso seal.
The engine does not idle very well and it seems to miss and it will stall.

Last week I was entering the marina and I keep the throttle up to avoid a stall I lost all power and it bogged down. When I eventually got to my slip there was a gas smell. Upon inspection I saw gas leaking from the fuel line. It was rubber and very corroded and broke in my hand when I squeezed it.

I replaced the fuel line from the gas tank to the primer, the primer to the engine connector. There is still a small rubber hose from the engine connector to the fuel pump and then a metal line from the fuel pump to the carb.

After I replaced most of the fuel line it started and idled fine for a little while, as soon as it warmed up the miss came and the boat stalled.

Does this still sound like a vacuum problem? The gas tank is like 30 years old and I have yet to check the fuel filter. The fuel pump gasket may be suspect and I hate to even think about tearing apart the carb.

I'll probably get a cheap outboard gas tank to test and replace that remaining fuel line, then check the fuel filter. After that I'm not so sure where to start?

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
on my a4--after points plugs condenser--the next thing i did was rebuild the carb. FYI i got a carb kit from o'rileys for 15bucks and it worked like a charm... that being said, it did take hours with lots of b12chemtool and qtips. i did it in sections and took pics as i took it apart to ensure i knew how to put it back together.... also that 'metal line' you refer to has (IIRC) A pin set inside the seat which maybe giving you a problem.

i would be very cautious running that thing until you get a GAS LEAK sorted out.

good luck

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 07-17-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
As and inboard the sail-drive should not have and outboard motor like hand pump bulb installed below deck IF that is the primer you are describing ?

All the below deck fuel line should be A-1 type and the tank fill line and vent should be A-2

Its pretty common for well meaning previous owners to do things like this rather than fix the real problem with the fuel system

you have to be a bit careful as the OMC is a lot LIKE like the outboard it came from BUT the fuel/electric system was changed for a below deck install

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.