SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Catalina 27 Bulkhead

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Mark1948 
#1 ·
Any Cat 27 owners out there? I have a question regarding bulkheads. Nothing wrong with my chainplates or the bulkheads to which they're attached. I'm just curious about the walls that are between the vee berth and the head on a Catalina 27. If you're sitting in the head, it would be the walls that are to your right. The one to your left is obviously a bulkhead because the chainplates bolt to it but the ones forward of the head that seperate the vee berth from the head and main cabin, are those load bearing?
I'm thinking about removing the one between the head and vee berth and extending the vee berth with an insert on a hinge that would ride over the head and yet flip up when not in use to allow full access to the head.
Any ideas out there?
Thanks
Wdae

#4 ·
The wall is somewhat load bearing, if you look you will see about 4 large screws about 9 inches up that screw into the fiberglass pan that supports the vbirth and give some lateral stability to that part of the hull. If you did what you are talking about you may want to run a header just for deck support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.