Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-20-2010

TheRealBill is on a distinguished road
V Berth Bedding alternatives

Hi, I wanted to replace my V berth cushions b/c they are old and smelly. So I took then to a shop today for a quote...

Holy Fudge! $1300 smackers! I'll like,,,umm...I don't think so! That was with 5 inch padding, mesh backing with the cheapest Sunbrella fabric. This wasn't even memory foam...it was 2 in firm and then 3 in med for the insides. Anyway, I wont sleep in these nasty things so I have to ask for some opinions on more cost effective solutions.

I'm not as concerned about how they look as I plan on covering them up when sheets and blankets anyway.

This is for a 33 Cheoy Lee. It's 3 pieces.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2010

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
The foam can be cut with an old electric knife like they used in the 70's to cut the turkey. (only time they came out in my house growing up) You can find them for 2 or 3 dollars in most thrift shops. If they are not really visible then just get a foam mattress from some place like overstock.com. they sell one made for "rvs" that looks good and cut it to match the existing cushions. It comes with 2 layers of foam for around $300. I would save the existing covers in case you want to have new ones made.

Why use sunbrella in a v-birth? Does not seem comfortable. Any synthetic upholstery fabric should work. Should not get a lot of UV down there.
Old 07-20-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
First, why not just wash everything? Go to the laundromat, toss the covers in a washer with a cupful of Murphy's oil soap, while the covers are washing, take the sponge cushions to a car wash and hose 'em down, and then vaccuum the water out with the super-sucker big-ass vaccuum they have there. by the time the cushions are dried out, go back to the laundromat and toss the covers in the dryer on COOL, and you're good to go. while you're at it, do the rest of the skanky cushions on your boat- the starboard settee looks like it could use a good sanitizing.
Old 07-20-2010

First, why not just wash everything? Go to the laundromat, toss the covers in a washer with a cupful of Murphy's oil soap, while the covers are washing, take the sponge cushions to a car wash and hose 'em down, and then vaccuum the water out with the super-sucker big-ass vaccuum they have there. by the time the cushions are dried out, go back to the laundromat and toss the covers in the dryer on COOL, and you're good to go. while you're at it, do the rest of the skanky cushions on your boat- the starboard settee looks like it could use a good sanitizing.
Old 07-20-2010

yeah...the starboard settee is actually the worse one. I was thinking of getting this
Walmart.com - Spa Sensations 4" Memory Foam Mattress-Topper

Then drawing a outline from my form and saw away. I have one of those turkey cutter knifes...has two blades. I also have a nice reciprocating saw...I could get a 6 inch fine tooth blade and saw way....
Old 07-20-2010

Rather than going mechanical, if you are determined to cut foam, use a hot knife. Quick, easy, no mess. You can build a hot knife for not much, or buy one for not much more.

Hotwire*Foam*Factory*::*1....
Old 07-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Rather than going mechanical, if you are determined to cut foam, use a hot knife. Quick, easy, no mess. You can build a hot knife for not much, or buy one for not much more.

Hotwire*Foam*Factory*::*1....
Great idea...the hot knife...I would prefer to lay my head on new foam...then I can use the other foam for other areas. K...So I think I'll get a hot knife and one of those mattresses...then swing by the fabric store and get some decent covering...thanks again...
Old 07-21-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
There is a thread on here "Cushions Cost How Much" that has several good suggestions. Quite a few people suggested Overstock.com as a resource.
I have also seen a few boats listed with custom-built traditional spring mattesses. Although I have a feeling that might cost more than a few doubloons.
Old 07-21-2010
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
I've heard of people buying a futon and cutting it down to fit. The only drawback I can envision is that some are made (at least partially) with cotton batting which, of course, would be a disaster if it got wet. However, some are made with wool batting and a foam center. I suppose those could, in theory, be dried out (albeit, with a bit more difficulty than plain foam cushions).
Old 07-21-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Bill, the mattress business (land or sea) is radically overpriced. If you can find a foam rubber manufacturer or supplier in your yellow pages--they'll be at least 1/2 cheaper than any mattress store for the same foam rubber goods.

There are also a number of "bedding" stores on the web that will sell foam rubber mattresses cheaper than most local stores. Don't think you can use a "topper" as a mattrress, the toppers are designed to crush down under your weight and just supply conformation, they are not firm enough to be used alone as matresses.

Somehow I grew up and lived on no more than 6" of mattress, the bedding stores today say I couldn't possibly have slept on less than a foot of padding. (Yeah right.)

A carpet "steam" cleaner, rented from a supermarket or hardware store for $25/half day, makes a great way to clean upholstery. And your car interior while you're at it. Just give it good time to dry out afterwards!