Turnbuckles: difference between jaw and fork - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-21-2010 Thread Starter

Turnbuckles: difference between jaw and fork

Hi folks,

I recently bought a Paceship P-17 and two of the threaded turnbuckle ends are bent. My only option is to order replacements online but I'm kind of worried I'll end up with the wrong type/size. I haven't seen anything exactly like the current ones around--this is probably the closest: (couldn't link, but they're on PrideMarine: Rigging->Standing Rigging->Threaded Toggle Jaws)

But the current ones aren't "toggle"-type, I think I understand that kind. What is the difference between "fork" and "jaw"? If I shouldn't replace the current non-toggle ends (must be either jaw or fork) with toggles, I may end up just replacing the whole turnbuckle. Should I use jaw-jaw or fork-fork? Or does it really matter?

Thanks!
Nick
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-21-2010
Old Fart

not an expert

I'm no expert but I imagine it doesn't matter what configuration the connection is as long as it fits. I'd worry more about getting the correct threads, fine or course, and shaft diameter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-21-2010
Don Radcliffe

The folks at riggingonly.com have a good selection with pictures.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-21-2010 Thread Starter

If I go with replacing the whole turnbuckle, I've seen the option to go with a fork/fork or jaw/jaw, but I can't tell the difference from the pictures--they both look like they would work!

For the same price as getting one of the threaded toggle jaws I could get what they call an "offshore-made" turnbuckle. I'm assuming that means not made in the US. Wonder what the quality would be like?
post #5 of 8 Old 07-21-2010
Old Fart

off shore-made

Offshore made means the very definite possibility of lower quality. Do you really want to gamble that it won't break under load and cause your mast to buckle?

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

post #6 of 8 Old 07-21-2010 Thread Starter

Might be worth asking the manufacturer about, since the same folks are making them offshore and... onshore. If the offshore are performing poorly, it would hurt their overall image.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-21-2010

I'm not sure what a 'fork' turnbuckle is.. I would have to guess that it's a jaw turnbuckle.

Regardless, there is a time and place to look for great deals, and a time and place to invest what it takes to get the right part. Standing rigging is not where you want to try to save money.

Obviously I'm not suggesting that expensive is better, but go with a reputable supplier, get the right size/fitment for the job, and make price take a back seat in the decision making process. Saving a few bucks, even 20 bucks, by buying cut-rate rigging is a rough way to get around.

If you have any doubt about your supplier, get a new supplier. Skimp on the curtains.. buy the best turnbuckles you can afford.

Course, I have the advantage of a little boat.. so my parts aren't expensive

... or I'm wrong.

Living aboard, currently in the Chesapeake
O'Day 37, still new to us
post #8 of 8 Old 08-03-2010 Thread Starter

I only have a little-ish boat too (17') but it's old and missing half its parts. After waiting a week turns out I was too hasty and ordered the wrong turnbuckles (somehow I didn't notice that it was the body and only one side fitted). Besides the turnbuckles, I've been trying to find replacement sheaves for my masthead and can't find ones that fit right.

Looks like I may not be sailing at all this summer, which is pretty disappointing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.