SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   vacuum for boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/66698-vacuum-boat.html)

gulfcoastcruiser 07-23-2010 09:47 AM

vacuum for boat

Anyone have a recommendation for a good vacuum cleaner that will fit in a dock box or stow out of the way. I need a good one that will pick up dog hair. The compact vacuums I have tried do not work well and my wet/dry vacs only seem to last about a year before they quit working.

jcalvinmarks 07-23-2010 10:17 AM

If you're only using it for small jobs around the boat, why not get the smallest (usually 1 gallon) wet-dry vac they have at Wal-Mart or Target. I have one in the garage for small jobs, like vacuuming out the cars, and works just fine, even on pet hair. They're small, compact, relatively powerful, and they're only $20-30. Use it until it dies, then pitch it overboard.

(I'm just kidding about throwing it overboard. Don't do that. Do as I say, not as I do.)

lydanynom 07-23-2010 10:21 AM

What wet/dry vacs have you tried? One of those with a long hose (long enough so you can leave the canister on the dock -- buy central vac hose in bulk) was going to be my first suggestion. I love that setup.

I've just got a medium-sized Rigid from the Home Despot that has held up fine for 4 years now without any special treatment. I don't remember what I paid for it but I don't think it was much.

gulfcoastcruiser 07-23-2010 10:38 AM

I forget now which brand wet/dry vac I have but it is the 1 gallon from Wal-Mart. I guess I will just pitch it and buy another one. I will say it worked very well until recently. I have a feeling the pet hair led to an early demise.

I do like the idea of the long hose in theory, but then I have to store the hose somewhere.

QuickMick 07-23-2010 10:49 AM

this baby handles about anything i throw at it and its pretty small.

Shop-VacŪ :: Vacs

oceanscapt 07-23-2010 11:18 AM

I'd recommend a wet-dry type like the Shop-Vac or it's clone. If you don't have an inverter, you may have to look for a 12VDC version but they don't seem readily available, seem to cost more, and don't seem as good.

I do not recommend the Dust Buster in any form.

davester 07-23-2010 12:36 PM

I use one of these and it works well.
dave

QuickMick 07-23-2010 12:39 PM

heck, seems that everything DeWalt makes is rock solid... why not a vac too? tnx, ill check it out next time im getting 'expert advice' at the home depot.... lol

GraemeInCanada 07-23-2010 01:20 PM

I just use a small battery powered vacuum like the dust buster in a sense. Works really well and gets rid of all the dust and stuff that manages to get in the boat.

For a bit more power though I would definitely move up to a small wet/dry vac. Storing it and powering it would be a pain and practically impossible at anchor unless you have an inverter. What on earth do you need to vacuum up at anchor that needs a wet/dry full powered vacuum though.

montenido 07-23-2010 06:49 PM

I use one of the small 1 gal shop vacs. I got it at Walmart. What I especially like about it is you can reverse the hose and use it to fill your inflatable dinghy in about a minute. Done with the dinghy? Now use it to vacate ALL the air, allowing it to be folded and rolled easily.

Oh, and it vacuums great also. :)

Bill