Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-23-2010

csilva is on a distinguished road
Changing instruments

I am planning to replace an Ockam system on my Tripp 33 sailboat. As a starter, I am thinking of a TACT033 Tacktick Entry Level Wind System (12v Display, Wireless Wind Transmitter) which I assume covers my requirements of wind speed and direction, both sensor and display, plus a TACT122 Tacktick Micronet NMEA Interface, with which I could connect to my Garmin GPSMAP421s and therefore get VMG on the display.
Please let me know if my assumptions are correct.
In the near future, I would like to also connect a Raymarine Autohelm ST2000. Is this possible?

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2010

paulk is on a distinguished road
Don't know about interfacing the different systems. We have Tacktick wireless instruments, and were really pleased with the ease of installation. We have had sporadic problems with the windspeed dropping out, but restarting brings it back.
Old 07-27-2010

hangupndrive is on a distinguished road
I'm a costal cruiser not a racer. Not sure if that matters. I certainly like technology but wireless concerns me. What if a gull poops on the transmit/receive part? Since you would need to go up the mast to install the wind instrument anyway, does wire not make more sense? Does the wind unit require some sort of power (battery)?

I just did a complete Electronics Refit. The Garmin GMI 10 system with wind, speed, and depth is between $1000 and $1200 at West marine. It also graphs barometric pressure, and temperature. It is NMEA 2000 so it talks to my Garmin Chart plotter. I also installed the new Standard Horizon 2100 AIS so now I can see the commercial traffic on my plotter. with this system I can put a compas rose that displays true wind around my boat on the plotter.

the GMI system is also NMEA 0183 compatible so as long as your autopilot is NMEA 0183 compliant, it will communicate.

Good Luck.

Doug Powers
Totoro
'88 C&C 30 Mk II
Seattle