SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Two questions (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/66743-two-questions.html)

rpearlberg 07-25-2010 03:23 PM

Two questions

I have a couple quick questions.

For some reason, I cannot open the seacock to drain the galley sink. I found it and know it's the right one, but can't get it to move at all. Any suggestions???

We have an Edson Pedestal on our Pearson 303. I know there is a way to use a tiller if there is ever a problem with the Edson. Does anyone know how to do this or where to find it?

Thanks!!!

DwayneSpeer 07-25-2010 04:06 PM

The seacock is frozen. You need to loosen the jam nut and loosen the nut that holds the innerds in just a tiny bit then spray the thing liberally with a lubricant such as WD40 and let it soak for several hours or even days. Then try it. If that doesn't work you may try loosening the nut further and tapping on the opposite end with a small hammer to break it free.

As for the emergency tiller, they usually fit over the rudder post. At least mine does.

WanderingStar 07-25-2010 05:50 PM

Penetrating oil or heat if it is a tapered bronze plug, or metal ball valve. It might have a synthetic ball, in which case neither of those is a good idea.

mitiempo 07-25-2010 06:26 PM

I wouldn't put much heat on any ball valve. Regardless of the ball material there are teflon seals and they don't like heat.:eek:
With a tapered all metal seacock heat is ok.

rpearlberg 07-25-2010 07:10 PM

It's a Perko Bronze seacock, if that means anything....

mitiempo 07-25-2010 07:12 PM

It may be an older tapered plug type or a ball valve - Perko makes both types.

arf145 07-26-2010 02:35 PM

Regarding that emergency tiller. It won't be just any old tiller, but something made to fit over the rudder post, as Dwayne said. On the Pearson 28, it's a big honking piece of aluminum shaped like a bent L with a notch in one end to fit over a bolt that goes through the rudder post. Did you get one with the boat? Look for a deck port or some other access point right above the rudder.

paul323 07-26-2010 07:08 PM

On my Pearson 323, access to the rudder post is by an aluminium deck port just behind the wheel, on the 'floor' in the middle of the cockpit. Easily recognised as it is (a) above the rudder where it hinges and (b) the port has two small recessed holes where a special "key" fits in to unscrew it. As arf145 said, the tiller itself is a substantial L-shaped aluminium tube, maybe 4' long (total), formed to a hex socket on one end to fit onto the rudder post. Check out the lazarettes - it is often buried in there (hopefully not buried too deep, 'cost when you need it, you really need it!!)

arf145 07-26-2010 09:19 PM

Oh yeah, that emergency tiller will be buried, yet always waiting to wreak havoc when moved. After countless nicks and bangs from that thing, I finally mounted it on the wall of the lazarette this past winter. Easy to get at when needed, but no longer threatening to crack a thru hull when heeled.