SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bonding aluminum to polycarbonate: primer?

16K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  cghubbell 
#1 ·
I need to bond new sheets of polycarbonate (Makrolon) into the old aluminum frames from my boat. I'm planning to use Dow 795 structural silicone. My ports have no mechanical fastening. That is, the Dow 795 will need to hold the sheet in place. I have seen mention in some places about using a primer, but I can't seem to find any guidance on when you do or do not need it.

Does anyone know whether the Dow 795 will sufficiently bond the aluminum and polycarbonate without a primer? And, whether or not the bonding surfaces need to be lightly abraded to aid in the bond?

Disclaimer: I am aware of the lexan vs. polycarbonate conversation. I need to use what I have, and I'm fine with replacing it in a few years if a problem develops. Just need to make the best of on-hand materials.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

#4 · (Edited)
These guys have some instructions
Which Sealants To Use
Yes, this is where I picked up the cue to use Dow 795. It doesn't answer the question about primers though...

If you remind me who made the hatch, I may be able to find the link/address for a US distributor of replacement lens and related sealants. Back when I rebedded my CS 36T hatches with a silicone kit with primer I bought from the distributor it all worked great.
It's a standard CS27 port light. No idea who made it; there's no label to be found. In fact, I can't even find a replacement in a dimension close enough, or I would go that route. It's approximately 48" long by 5-1/8" cut out, so totally non-standard, unfortunately.

If I can't bond this stuff into place, my fall back is awful in terms of both time and money. Laminating glass into the center of that cut-out to use smaller ports is the only way I can see to replace what I have. I'm so sick of glass work at this point that I'll need therapy if that happens. I'm on the tail end of a year-long refit at the moment and my mental health is pretty volitile :eek:

#6 ·
Epoxy will not flex enough between aluminum and polycarbonate. They expand/contract at different rates, the epoxy will crack and it will leak.

You need something that flexes. 795 will flex. I don't know that it's the best choice or not for this project, but it's a better idea than epoxy.

I will be bedding my acrylic windows without primer, using 795. I believe that is safe to do so, but time will tell.

Make sure all mating surfaces are clean clean clean, use alcohol to clean up the edges of the aluminum & the polycarbonate (assuming alcohol is safe on polycarbonate), any oils from your fingers, etc, will cause the 795 to not bond properly and it will leak.

#10 ·
I received a frustrating response from Dow when I asked them for guidance. Because I used the word "marine" in my query, they refused to provide guidance, saying that they do not certify any polycarbonate for marine use. So, not even Dow is willing to answer the question about whether or not a primer is required when bonding aluminum to polycarbonate.

Meanwhile, I know for a fact that polycarbonate is used in architectural scenarios bonder to aluminum frames. Same UV situation as a boat, much higher winds hitting buildings...

Ok, the polycarbonate will fail sooner than lexan. I get it, and it's acceptable to me. Meanwhile, how do I bond it? Frustrating. I guess I'll just clean it as best I can and use the Dow 795 I have, hoping for the best.

#14 ·
Not local at all (Rochester, NY here), but I certainly appreciate your offer. Probably won't need to to take you up on it though.

I just sent an email to Select Plastics asking for a quote. This isn't the sort of thing I want to have go bad, and the deeper I get into research the more obvious it is that using polycarbonate is a mistake. I may just have to eat my initial mistake in listening to an incompetent glass dealer.

#15 ·
Polycarbonate is Lexan. The better choice is acrylic which is Plexiglas.
I would definitely not use epoxy. The Dow 795 (or 739) is a much better choice. With these you really don't need the frames. The trick is keeping everything in place until it sets.

My CS27 has the 3 smaller ports on each side and I am still debating how I will attach the acrylic (Plexiglas).

#16 ·
Wish I had the one with three smaller ports, as that makes it possible to buy replacements from a few different vendors if you choose to do so. With the contraction & expansion of plexi, the shorter windows also have a better chance of staying sealed over the long haul.

#17 ·
Had an interesting conversation with Tony at Select Plastics. apparently the window style on my boat s no longer ABYC compliant, and they won't do restoration work on it. His recommendation was to purchase acrylic and surface mount it using a process similar to what Don Casey uses in This Old Boat.

His suggestion differed in that he recommends bonding the pane with Dow 795 rather than using the quantity of mechanical fasteners Mr. Casey suggests. Instead, only enough to secure the window during curing, then remove them and fill the holes with the 795. So, in the end the 795 is the only thing holding the acrylic to the cabin.

I'm going to go with this path. It seems to the be the only way to create a secure structure. The only place I'll need to get creative is the curvature of the cabin sides. Thanks to all who attempted to help me - I just seem to be a lost cause in this case!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.