SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Clutch slip? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/66791-clutch-slip.html)

Boondoggle30 07-26-2010 09:52 PM

Clutch slip?

Not sure if this is in fact the correct term or what is really happening, however, here's what is happening. When I move my gear selector there is no definate position or "click" for reverse, neutral or forward. When I do move into a gear it will engage the prop no problem. When I try to move from either gear to neutral the engine does go into neutral, but then the prop will start to rotate slowly as if it is slipping back into gear. The engine has not actually gone back into a gear but the prop will spin a few rotations then stop then may start doing it again a few seconds later. I can then stop that cycle by 'massaging' the shift lever either way to stop it.

Suggestions?.

sawingknots 07-27-2010 03:09 AM

i suspect your shift linkage is corroded or binding,try disconnecting the linkage at the gearbox and see if there's a strong knuckle in knuckle out reaction on the shift lever there ,my boat does the same thing i finally just learned to live with it

Boondoggle30 07-27-2010 07:09 AM

Understand?.

Knots,

So if I understand you correctly, you suggest disconnect at helm end and move shifter to see if it binds? I replaced the "barrel connector" at the engine where the cable connects to the engine - that $100 part made very little difference. I think I will do what you say and while I have it off I may replace the cable. Is there any merit to tightening the cable (ie: shortening it) to tighten up the system?

I am assuming the linkage you are referring is the cable that runs from shift to engine correct?

Thanks. My concern in burning out my transmission as it is always slightly engaged??

SEMIJim 07-27-2010 07:59 AM

Might help if you mentioned specs for the boat, engine and, possibly, transmission.

FWIW: What you describe sounds a lot like the behaviour of the reversing gear on our A4. In reverse there is no detent. In forward, there is, but it may not be all that pronounced after a dozen feet or better of shift cable and an 8" long shift lever.

Our prop turns gently and intermittently when the reversing gears is in neutral. Forgot to note which direction.

Jim

Jeff_H 07-27-2010 08:14 AM

I went through something like that when I bought my current boat. As suggested you need to make sure that the lever at the tranmission is fully engaging in the gear and that neutral on the lever is at the detent for nuetral on the tranmission. For what it is worth. here is what I did, I disconnected the shft linkage from lever on the transmission. I taped a piece of cardboard to the top of the transmission so that the cardboard was was next to the lever. Using my hands to move the lever I carefully put the transmission into forward, reverse and neutral and very carely maked the position of the lever in each posistion. I then adjusted the linkage and lever stops so that the transmission was sinc'd with the lever.

The other thing is that the specific transmission fluid makes a huge difference. Read the manual and drain the transmission and put in the correct fluid. In my case, I followed the recommendation of an engine shop and had originally filled the transmission with a multiweight oil. I immediately noticed that the transmission did not seem to engage as well as I would have liked. I immediately went back to the recommendation in the manual and when I changed to the recommended single-weight oil, the transmission worked perfectly and has continued to do so.

I think that some small amount of rotation in neutral is not all that unusual.

Jeff

sawingknots 07-27-2010 08:20 AM

i meant disconnect the linkage at the gearbox end and yes the cable from the shifter handle to the gearbox.i do understand your concerns regarding burning up your tranny[actually the clutch would be the main concern]but since its a wet type clutch[runs in oil] and the slower the prop turns the lower the resistance of the water,i doubt that will be a problem,mine has been this way for years and i think its quite common

Boondoggle30 07-27-2010 10:34 AM

Wow. Thank you for all the suggestions. Sadly I have "avoided" using our boat until I sorted this issue out as I was afraid I was going to do some permanent damage in the thousands. I am still going to follow the suggestions which all have the common theme of disconnect, I'll replace cable while doing so, and adjust settings. I'm a little hesitant to play with tranny fluid because if I get that wrong it will definitely be bad. How hard is that anyway, changing tranny fluid that is?

The engine is a yanmar 13hp 2gm. No idea of other specs.

sawingknots 07-27-2010 11:44 AM

its not easy,the only way is to get it to operating temp.and use a boat engine oil removal pump,i'm almost certain the tranny oil is the same as your engine oil,nothing special