Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010

bkseawolf is on a distinguished road
Opinions on Rocna Anchors requested

Hello all,
I am thinking of going to a new generation style anchor and was interested in the Ronca 20 for my Columbia 29.
If there is anyone out there that has used the Ronca? I would appreciate your feed back.
It seems to get good results in the published testing that I have read.
My anchoring will be in all types of bottoms found in the Channel Islands of Southern California, and hopefully to other horizons in the future.
Thanks.
Bob
Columbia 29 "Volador"
Dana Point, Ca
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkseawolf View Post
Hello all,
I am thinking of going to a new generation style anchor and was interested in the Ronca 20 for my Columbia 29.
If there is anyone out there that has used the Ronca? I would appreciate your feed back.
It seems to get good results in the published testing that I have read.
My anchoring will be in all types of bottoms found in the Channel Islands of Southern California, and hopefully to other horizons in the future.
Thanks.
Bob
Columbia 29 "Volador"
Dana Point, Ca
Rocna 20 ? For a 29'er ? You'll snap the bow off her, sink the poor little thing. You'll need to convert your f'ward cabin into an anchor locker.

Seriously, do you mean Rocna Size 20 or Rocna 22lb ?

The Womboat is 34', 6.5t.....we have just bought a Rocna 15 and I'm worried that is overkill. The thing is flucking HUGE !!

I cannot believe that a Columbia 29 weighs more than what ? 4.5t ?

You want a Rocna 10 (22lb) not a twenty.

Smithy will undoubtedly chime in here at some stage. He'll confirm the size you need I'm sure but unless I'm talking through my backside (and I confess it has been known to happen) R20 is way to big.
triacondor likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 07-27-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-27-2010
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
We rate the Rocna 10 [kg] (22 lb) for a 30' yacht up to 5 tons. This is very conservative sizing already - consult the overview of sizing recommendations here: Rocna sizing recommendations (Rocna Knowledge Base)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 07-27-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I have been using a Rocna 25 (55#) on my 22,000# HR40 for four years. A couple of years ago while choosing a second anchor I decided to get a second Rocna 25. I continue to be happy with that decision.

I have personal experience (on a variety of boats) with CQR, Danforth, Bruce, Fortress, Delta, Spade, and Rocna anchors predominantly along the US East Coast, the Bahamas, and the various Virgin Islands. I anchor in mud or sand and occasionally grass. In hundreds of anchoring evolutions I have only twice had an issue with the Rocna - once when the anchor landed on a trash bag in Baltimore Harbor and once when it took a while to settle and dig into heavy grass in the Abacos.

While I do not intend to disparage the older anchor designs as inadequate (they are .. well .. adequate) there is no question whatsoever in my mind that the newer anchors such as Rocna and Spade are absolutely head and shoulders above the older designs in setting and holding performance.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-27-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I currently own all these anchors, they owe me nothing and are not for sale. I have owned a Delta and numerous Danforth's. I can choose ANY of those anchors to place on my bow as the primary and the one I choose is the Rocna..

Pretty simple, it performs significantly better for me in my cruising waters than every one of the pictured anchors, and the Delta. The only one it has not performed any better than for me is the Manson Supreme which has also performed extremely well. I do feel the Rocna is better built and a Rocna 15 is now less money at some retailers than the Manson Supreme.

Until a better mouse trap comes along the Rocna is the insurance policy I choose, and I have a pile of them to choose from..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 07-27-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-27-2010

bkseawolf is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all who replied. It looks as Ronca gets pretty high marks, as I thought it would.
TDW,
You are correct. It was the Ronca 10 (22LB-10kg) that I was thinking of.
got the kilos and lbs mixed up.
Fair winds to all.
Bob
Old 07-28-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I currently own all these anchors, they owe me nothing and are not for sale.
I've seen a couple of pretty nice mailbox posts made from old CQRs ...
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 07-28-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Thanks to all who replied. It looks as Ronca gets pretty high marks, as I thought it would.
TDW,
You are correct. It was the Ronca 10 (22LB-10kg) that I was thinking of.
got the kilos and lbs mixed up.
Fair winds to all.
Bob
Bob, I figured it was nowt but a slip of the finger.

Just to keep this thread alive for the time being and given that we have our new Rocna ready to ship this weekend I'm figuring that its also time to renew our rode.

Currently we carry 35m of 5/16" gal chain plus about 50m of line. This with a 27lb CQR that has only ever let us down in loose sand where it did not want to hold one little bit.

Based on the Rocna guides it seems that my best bet would be 6mm-1/4" High Tensile, and from reading elsewhere short link is better for the windlass. Again I guess I'd go 30-40m of chain and 50 odd metres of polyester line. The HT chain should make up for the extra weight of the anchor and should be plenty strong enough.

Make sense ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 07-28-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Nylon, not polyester. You want some stretch.
Old 07-28-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
We have a Rocna 15 for our 11,700# Sabre 34, and love it. I have personal experience with mostly CQRs and Danforths, and a little with Deltas. When we purchased our boat a year and a half ago, we needed a second anchor (the boat only had one, Fortress). So we made the Fortress our secondary and bought the Rocna for the bow. It's been fantastic so far, holding solid in some pretty strong blows, even with 180 degree windshifts. No anchor is perfect, but we're very happy with the Rocna and we sleep better at night. Just my two cents.

Oh, and I agree you don't need the Rocna 20.
-J