SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Jib/genoa lines (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/66854-jib-genoa-lines.html)

mpc7002 07-29-2010 07:45 AM

Jib/genoa lines

Except my Hobie, all the boats I have borrowed or rented have had a roller furling jib/genoa. The jib lines have always been tied on with a bowline knot. This past weekend I bought a small hunter of my own. It comes with a nice complement of sails, but no furler. The current owner has a set of jib lines already attached to each of the jib, and two genoas.

My question is, wouldn't it be easier to tie the jib lines to a shackle or snap shackle, and leave all the jib lines in place on deck, than to re-run lines if i change from say a jib to a 135 genoa?

sck5 07-29-2010 08:53 AM

imagine that shackle flogging around some time. I wonder what it would hit? You? Fiberglass? A port or hatch?

Allanbc 07-29-2010 09:34 AM

Just leave the lines in place and tie them on with a bowline. A bowline is quick to tie and pretty easy to untie. This has worked for many, many years. I would vote no to using a shackle.

lydanynom 07-29-2010 09:54 AM

My headsail sheets are one continuous line attached to the clew at its centerpoint with a cow hitch rather than two separate lines attached with bowlines. I've been really happy with that setup. There seems to be less to snag, I think it winds up being lighter, and there is no risk of the flogging sail ever shaking out a knot.

14432 07-29-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lydanynom (Post 626677)
My headsail sheets are one continuous line attached to the clew at its centerpoint with a cow hitch rather than two separate lines attached with bowlines. I've been really happy with that setup. There seems to be less to snag, I think it winds up being lighter, and there is no risk of the flogging sail ever shaking out a knot.

Agree - single line & cowhitch is the best way

trantor12020 07-29-2010 10:07 AM

here we go again.

lydanynom 07-29-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trantor12020 (Post 626680)
here we go again.

I just tried searching but came up with ziilch. Where is the previous discussion?

miduship15 07-29-2010 11:15 AM

Clearly, a shackle is not a good idea, between the chance of it flying around or the chance of it snagging then releasing while tacking.

On my cruising boat, I use the single line with a cow hitch. On racing boats, I prefer separate bow and starboard sheets (tied on with bowlines) to permit changing the headsail without dropping the jib in use.

SebastienL 07-29-2010 11:37 AM

I am currently using the following setup and it should fit your need (easy to detach / reattach, no dangerous shackle flying around):

Tying Jib Sheets - Soft Shackle for Jibsheets (link here)

I've only installed this 2 weeks ago so I haven't tested this setup at all... But it does seem solid.

mpickering 07-29-2010 12:47 PM

I use a cow hitch and a single line. Shackles are expensive! One less thing to break.

Matt