SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Bimini replacement ideas and opinions (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/66857-bimini-replacement-ideas-opinions.html)

lans0012 07-29-2010 10:18 AM

Bimini replacement ideas and opinions

Gang,

I'm considering replacing the bimini and frame on my Cal 27 Mk3. The boat has bridgedeck sheeting and there is not quite standing headroom under the boom in it's current position(probably about 5"5". My current bimini only covers the aft portion of the cockpit because if it were further forward the boom would be in the way.

I'm considering having the boom raised about 1 foot and a new mainsail made as my current main is on the list for replacment as well.

So far I've been quoted from 900 to 1900 for the bimini and stainless frames not including raising the boom, etc.

We primarily day sail on Tampa Bay and the sun is killer here. Am I being silly for wanted to raise the boom and have standing room under the bimini?

Would like people to weigh in on the merits of standing headroom under the bimini versus more shade, less windage, more sail area, pain of entering the cockpit???.

The Cal 27 Mkiii has a very large cockpit compared to a Oday 27 or Catalina 27 for reference...maybe 2' longer or more.

I think I'll go down to the boat and take some photos if people are interested in the thread.

rmeador 07-29-2010 10:21 AM

I am far to inexperienced to be able to advise about the merits (or lack thereof) of moving the boom, but I can tell you that having standing headroom under the bimini is very, very nice. It's a requirement for me, actually.

DwayneSpeer 07-29-2010 11:19 AM

I can't imagine not having head room under a bimini. Otherwise what's the point?

Raising your boom will raise the center of effort on the sail and increase the tendency to heel but reducing the amount of sail overall will reduce your healing and slow down your boat. The net effect on healing is something a designer will have to answer but your boat will definately be slower.

svHyLyte 07-29-2010 12:23 PM

Are you fitted with tiller or wheel steering?

mitiempo 07-29-2010 12:36 PM

The boat shouldn't heel more. If the main was kept the same size and raised a foot it would, but cutting a foot off the bottom will reduce heeling as there will be less sail area and it will be the same height as is there currently.

lans0012 07-29-2010 12:48 PM

Tiller

It's a tiller.

I would think that the net effect on heeling would be minimal with less sail area to contend with. Depending on how the new sail is built and trimed the COE could be higher but I really need to get a lesson on sail "trimology."

Thank you for your replies!

emoney 07-29-2010 12:57 PM

Is standing a huge issue for you? That's really the main question. I'm sure there's tons of opinion for both sides, but ultimately, you're the guy to please here. And, FTR, I can attest to the hot sun here. I moved my boat last weekend 17 nm, and let me tell you, it was h-o-t. From Anclote to Hudson at less than 6knots made for quite the red face even wearing a hat.

lans0012 08-02-2010 08:53 PM

Pictures of future bimini

2 Attachment(s)
Gang,

Thanks for the feedback. I took some pictures of the boat and drew on a hypothetical bimini in paintbrush. You have to use your imagination but please take a look at the pics and let me know your opinions. I've had estimates on the bimini from 900-1900 and I want to make the right decision.

Thanks in advance

lans0012 08-02-2010 09:13 PM

2nd picture is current set up

Ok so the second picture is the current setup. My first thought when I drew the picture was that it looked friggin huge and unnecessary. I dunno. I think I thought about it too hard and now I'm incapable of making my own decisions.

mitiempo 08-03-2010 12:50 AM

You could always buy everyone in the family a big floppy hat.:D