Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-04-2010
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
Wood Boat - Am I Crazy?

So I'm drooling over this boat I saw listed that's over 50 years young and has a wood hull. They say she was completely refit 6 years ago. Supposedly all the stringers, etc. are in perfect shape. I've only ever owned plastic boats. What's involved in owning a wood boat, maintenance-wise? Am I crazy to even consider it?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
If you have to ask, then probably yes (even though I never owned one myself).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-04-2010

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Its been said it before, "you don't buy a wood boat you adopt one".

That said it can be a nice hobby (although an expensive and time consuming one), if that is what you are looking for.

Gene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 08-04-2010

emoney is on a distinguished road
And don't move it to Florida by any means!
I'm with you in the love affair, however. It seems there are a lot of
beautiful wood boats out there. Like the 1st responder said, "if you
have to ask...". Or, let's try the tried and true; "where there's smoke
there's fire".
Good luck regardless of what you do!
Old 08-04-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Nope, not crazy. If she's been properly kept up, it's not much more work than a 'glass boat.

The only caution is that with wood, maintenance tasks can not be delayed .

Make sure you get a good survey.
Old 08-04-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbondy View Post
So I'm drooling over this boat I saw listed that's over 50 years young and has a wood hull. They say she was completely refit 6 years ago. Supposedly all the stringers, etc. are in perfect shape. I've only ever owned plastic boats. What's involved in owning a wood boat, maintenance-wise? Am I crazy to even consider it?

TIA
Having owned a number (three) of timber boats all of which were financial disasters , yes I reckon you are barking mad to even contemplate the idea. Then again I said that after my first one though after the third I did start to take my own advice. The only type of timber boat I'd ever consider now would be glass sheathed.

That said I've since bought a steel boat so maybe I've not learnt much at all.

Look, run your hand over a timber then do the same to frozen snot (grp). No one with half a soul would compare the two but few people with half a brain go timber.

Have a chat with Hartley18. Search his recent posts and you might just start to get a feel for what you would be letting yourself into. One day Hartley will have a lovely little yacht but whoa he is having to put in the hard yards before that day arrives.

Personally I still adore timber boats and there is not much I'd rather do than look at other people's. Emphasis on others.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 08-04-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
The lift in our marina won't even touch a wood haul due to the risks.

Old 08-04-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
You'd be surprised at how many woodies are still on the water, some well beyond 50 yrs old.

You just have to supply your labor & spend the pesos when needed

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-05-2010
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
Thanks, all, but I'm looking for details. Let's say it was a new wood boat. What maintenance would I do beyond bottom paint? The topsides are white. I assume painted, not glassed. The transom is varnished. So the paint needs inspection and periodic renewal, I presume, although I don't have any idea at what frequency. Does the varnished transom require the annual recoating that the brightwork does on my current boat (Cetol), or since it's at the water line, is it somehow different? With an older boat, would the only difference be the inspections necessary to detect rot? Do you need to periodically insert stuff between the boards that comprise the hull, and at what frequency? And why not just glass over the hull? Or is my use of the word "just" covering up a whole can o' worms?

This all assume passing a survey. The listing claims: "was extensively restored over the summer of 2004 and half of 2005" "Restoration required extensive new frames but only one new plank." "Honduras mahogany, originally on oak frames, but from bulkhead to transom all frames have been replaced with Douglas fir and Bilgekoted; white oak structural keel and deadwood; new Douglas fir floor timbers; newly stainless screw fastened."

Restoration sounds like a real PITA, but once done, is it done?
Old 08-05-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Where is she? What design? How big? You're in Bayside, I'm on Long Island, and sail wooden boats. Paint and varnish are your most frequent maintenance. Caulking (between planks) is not even once a decade. your biggest concerns are how well was she built and rebuilt.

Last edited by WanderingStar; 08-05-2010 at 08:15 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.