Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-13-2003

GhostBoat is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint

I am readying a boat I purchased in the Fall for the new season. The previous owner applied a multi-season ablative paint from Petit. The paint has failed in a few spots (totally lifted off the previous coat) but otherwise looks fine. Several people have told me I could just feather sand these areas and re-apply paint just there. The local West Marine dealer told me I should sand everything and paint the whole boat. The boat will lie at a mooring in Western Long Island Sound.

If she is correct, what''s the point of a multi-season paint.

Finally, if sand and re-paint costs the same as a weekly scrapping by a diver, which is the better option?

Thanks,

GhostBoat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2003
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint

If the current paint will require weekly cleanings, you need new paint. Further, I suggest you repaint with Petit Trinidad SR which is a modified epoxy. If I''m not mistaken, a well sanded ablative bottom will accept the epoxy just fine and you''ll find the epoxy will provide excellent anti fouling properties and is far more durable than the ablative. Just the opinion of one hull diver.
Old 04-14-2003

hamiam is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint

I dont believe that you can overcoat an ablative paint with a non-ablative but you might want to check with Petit.
Old 04-15-2003

harvh is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint

If your paint is peeling off in some areas, chances are that it was not sanded properly the last time it was painted. Ruff up the paint job with an orbital sander and re-paint the hull. Petit Trinidad SR will go over your paint job and give you a nice finish.
Old 04-16-2003
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Bottom Paint

Yes, you can just scrape and sand the areas where the paint is loose and only repaint there. But do you know how many coats of ablative the previous owner applied? I tend to agree with the advice to paint the whole bottom, mainly to be sure you have enough paint to last the whole season. Ablatives are made to wear away during the season, which I like since you don''t get a buildup of coats.

As for weekly hull cleanings -- are you racing every week? If not, weekly cleaning is overkill and yes, will hasten the demise of the ablative paint. If you''re just a cruiser, try monthly cleanings and see what happens. Personally, I usually have my boat hauled in early August for a quick powerspray and then relaunched immediately. That one time does it for me -- but I cruise.

As for type of paint, I''m a big fan of ablatives. No buildup of coats of paint to remove at some point down the road (at great expense or at least great aggrevation.) I use Pettis Ultima SR, which has a biocide in it to hold down slime growth. Works well, too. But if you do want weekly hull cleanings by a diver, the Trinidad would be better. I sail on the Chesapeake BTW since some paints work better in some areas than others.
Old 04-21-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint

Hi, not to hijack the thread, but I am going to be painting the bottom of my boat (20'') soon, and need to give the yard the time I''ll need in the dry. I presume drying will require some time both after it''s pulled, before I can sand and paint, and after it''s painted to let the paint set. How long do I need to budget for this. This is going to be in Southern Ca, in the spring/summer, so temperatures will probibly be in the high 60''s - mid 80''s for day time peaks, with lows in the low 50''s and high 40''s at night.

Also, any advice on painting the bottom would be greatly aprecaited. Thanks

-- James