Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-07-2010

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
Mast Creaking under sail

Question for everyone, when sailing today and previously in about 10-15knot winds with the roller furling furled out all the way the mast seems to creak during gusts. Anyone else have this problem or know what it could be. I feel uneasy, I don't want to lose the rig.

What should I be checking? There is never such a creak when sailing with just the main sail. Thanks in advance for your help!

1979 Catalina 27 Tall Rig
Day sailor on the
Hudson River-NY
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2010

DelmarRey is on a distinguished road
A few things you may want to check;

The sheaves in the mast-head.
Shroud/stay pins and holes for elongation.
Maststep for movement and/or deck thru hole if keel stepped.
Chainplates for movement.
Old 08-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
When was the last time you checked your rigging tension and inspected your rigging and chainplates? If it wasn't in the last few months, you should start by doing a thorough inspection of the rigging and checking the tension.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-08-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav16 View Post
Question for everyone, when sailing today and previously in about 10-15knot winds with the roller furling furled out all the way the mast seems to creak during gusts. Anyone else have this problem or know what it could be. I feel uneasy, I don't want to lose the rig.

What should I be checking? There is never such a creak when sailing with just the main sail. Thanks in advance for your help!

The creaking could be caused by any number of things. The fact that you don't hear it with the jib rolled up tells me that the likely culprit is one of the clevis pins on the forestay.
At the top and bottom of the headstay, you should have toggles. The toggles are there to provide articulation like a universal joint, so that when the sail fills, you aren't bending the wire. It's not uncommon for a little surface corrosion to occur on these clevis pins and for them to complain a little when moving.
The next time you go aloft, take a can of WD 40 or similar and give the clevis pins and masthead sheaves a squirt. See if that helps.

As pointed out by another poster, it's a good idea to inspect and tune your rig occasionally too. But a little creaking is not uncommon and in the majority of cases not something to be too worried about.
Old 08-08-2010

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
Oh snap I have never really checked the tension of the rig. I should check the chain plates too. I tried to read Gui's explanation of of tuning the rig but it seems very complicated. Anyone have simpler instructions for checking rig tension?

1979 Catalina 27 Tall Rig
Day sailor on the
Hudson River-NY
Old 08-08-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav16 View Post
Oh snap I have never really checked the tension of the rig. I should check the chain plates too. I tried to read Gui's explanation of of tuning the rig but it seems very complicated. Anyone have simpler instructions for checking rig tension?

Go to post #40 of that same thread, Adjusting Your Rig
I tried to simplify the tuning process there.

The link above takes you to page four. I don't know why. Post #40 is on page two.

Last edited by knothead; 08-08-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Depends on your settings, since you can specify how many posts you see per "page". Your settings may be different on different computers, since IIRC, it is stored in a cookie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Go to post #40 of that same thread, Adjusting Your Rig
I tried to simplify the tuning process there.

The link above takes you to page four. I don't know why. Post #40 is on page two.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.