SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Help--Really dumb question

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  seabreeze_97 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to fire up a new-to-me Atomic 4. I've only had outboards in the past. In my boat (Bristol 27) there only appears to be a start button. No ignition switch. So, how do I turn the beast off once (if) it gets going??!

With the battery selector set to both, the starter motor fires without turning anything else on.

#4 ·
With the battery selector set to both, the starter motor fires without turning anything else on.
Investigate the cause of this before running the engine. It is a potentially dangerous condition.

Also assuming the engine still has the standard points and ignition coil you need to be able to interrupt the supply as leaving it on without the engine running will do damage to the points and burn out the coil.

Some standard wiring layouts can be found here. Atomic Four

The previous owner may have jury rigged something that allows a start from the house battery by passing the solenoid but there are better ways of doing this.

#5 ·
On my Bristol there's a panel beneath the electrical panel with start and stop buttons. No telling what possible fire risk you could have there. Don't trust it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.