Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-08-2010

ukrsindicat is on a distinguished road
Halyards, Hand bilge pump, and sewage tank

Hello, Gents(and ladies)

I am new owner N30MKI. She is a nice boat and for the money that I have paid for her, it is even nicer.

Still there is an array of things that will need to be done to her.
1. I am looking to replace both halyards on her. What are the length and width of standard halyard for N30?

2. I can't find the hand bilge pump on the boat. Where is it?

3. Where is the sewage tank? When water washes from the sink into the drain where does it go?

I appreciate all your help on this, friends! I will soon post pictures.

Yuriy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2010

paul323 is on a distinguished road
Congratulations on your new boat!

Owning a new boat is always like exploring an undiscovered country (more racy metaphors come to mind, but we'll let that go). Part of the fun is tracing pipes and wires, and see where they all connect - it is also a vital learning experience for a responsible boat owner, as you should know where all the thru-hulls are, and inspect the pipes regularly.

Hopefully your survey (if you had one) will have some clues to answer your questions... I can't give you specifics (as I don't know that boat), but:

1) Can't help - Ask a rigger - or even a local West Marine store!
2) Normally in the cockpit there is a hole, in which you put a chrome pipe to act as a pump handle. That's the manual bilge. Look around the cockpit.
3a) Trace the pipes from the head. There are normally 3:
- raw water intake - (i) single pipe leading into head from a thru-hull, normally not too thick.
- Y-shaped valve going to (normally thicker) (ii) overboard discharge thru-hull, and (iii) sewage tank.

3b) Sink drain? Look under the sink and trace the pipe. It may go overboard through a thru-hull, or join another pipe leading to a thru-hull.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrsindicat View Post
Hello, Gents(and ladies)

I am new owner N30MKI. She is a nice boat and for the money that I have paid for her, it is even nicer.

Still there is an array of things that will need to be done to her.
1. I am looking to replace both halyards on her. What are the length and width of standard halyard for N30?
It is probably 3/8" or 7/16" line. 5/16" would probably be too small and 1/2" too large. The length will depend on whether the halyards terminate at the mast base or are led back to the cockpit. If they terminate at the mast base, they're probably a bit over twice the length of the mast. If they are run back to the cockpit, they're probably about an additional 10-15' longer as a rough guess.

Quote:
2. I can't find the hand bilge pump on the boat. Where is it?
There may not be a hand bilge pump on the boat.

Quote:
3. Where is the sewage tank? When water washes from the sink into the drain where does it go?
Probably near the head. Trace the thick 1-1/2" diameter hose from either the deck pumpout fitting or the back of the head to find the tank. You really want to keep the hoses for the head and holding tank as short as possible.

As for the sink, it probably drains directly overboard. On some boats it drains via a seacock and through hull because the drain is near or below the waterline, on others it just drains through a throughhull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-09-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Look into sampson ultra lite line. Go with 5/16 or 3/8". You can also use dyneema spliced to anything you like to handle. How important is halyard stretch to you? The higher tech lines will stretch less requiring less adjustment under sail.

Basically, talk to a rigger. West marine has never impressed me w/ their selection, and unless you get a sailor to help you, the other 'employees' are useless.

This is helpful as well Mauri Pro Sailing: Sailboat Halyards & Rigging