Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-09-2010

Cal28 is on a distinguished road
My project - Ranger 23

and so it goes ...

I now own a 1975 Ranger 23 that I want to refurbish, sail and race here on San Francisco Bay.

She was well maintained until several years ago when she was turned into a 'live-aboard' and is now in need of much more than merely a cosmetic clean-up. The sails (main, 95% and 150% Genoa) are in good shape, the keel bolts and chain plates as well. There is the problematic leaking from the toe rails which I have read is typical and those will all have to be reseated.

As I will have many questions, I will keep this thread alive and ask them here ... as well as document the work being done to her.

My current plan is as follows:

1) clean, disinfect and 'demildew' the cabin
2) replace all standing rigging
3) replace all running rigging
4) trouble-shoot the 6 hp Chrysler (or swap out with my 6 hp Johnson)
5) replace/reinstall deck hardware as needed

I would like to get her in safe sailing shape by Labor Day so that we can get some sailing done in September (one of the best months here).

This fall, I plan to pull, scrape and repaint, as well as continue work in the cabin. (I have 2 weeks of vacation time ... and several 'good hands' to assist).

Ambitious plan to be sure ... but I've found that life goes on ... and this is something I want ...

My first question is with regards to the inside cabin hull. I removed the old fabric and thin foam padding (filthy and in a few areas, moldy). Any ideas on what to cover this with? (As this is something that is more cosmetic, it could wait until fall but it is stripped and bare at the moment.) Additionally, there are several stains on the fiberglass which I am using abit of acetone to attempt to remove. Any other ideas?

As always, thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're talking about the black mildew staining, try TILEX, which is a household bathroom cleaner designed to remove mildew and other nasty things.

I'd point out that there is little point in removing those stains until the toerails are re-bedded, since they are the cause of the stains and the stains will just return until the leaking toerails are fixed.

As for covering it, you have two options. The first is to glass furring strips to the hull and then you can add insulation and put in a wood interior. The second is to replace the foam and fabric with new foam and fabric.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
First of all, I must say that the Ranger 23 is a wonderful boat, one of my favorites of this size and era. In many ways it was one of Gary Mull's best designs. I always wonder about folks who pour their hearts and money into some boat that never was a good boat. Its always nice to see someone restoring one the great ones.

The vinyl liners of that era were problematic almost from the time that the boat was new; peeling away from the hull and collecting mildew. There are a number of potential options to deal with this issue but biggest problem will be addressing the old 'dead' glue. My sense in working on boats that have started life with glued on vinyl and carpet is that almost no matter what you do, you will more likely than not need to be able to remove the old glue.

My favorite interior finish on a boat this size is simply to sand and paint the interior of the hull. This of course depends on the condition of the exposed glasswork. My recollection was that Ranger had decent glass work that would lend itself to paint. The hot ticket is to wipe down the hull with alcohol to remove residue polutants, sand the hull with 100 grit paper, and then paint with a suitable primer and paint with mildewcides.

Another option is gluing on automotive carpet, which is pretty inexpensive, mildew resistant, easy to install, available in a lot of colors and styles, able to be stretched around compund curves, and seems to hold up very well.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook