SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

cockpit cushions - how to secure?

11K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  latitudes 
#1 ·
We're refitting a 46 year old 33ft sailboat - she's built as a racer/cruiser capable of circumnavigation. One of our (MANY) projects is cockpit cushions. and we're fairly sure we need to physically secure them to the cockpit benches (1 inch marine ply covered w/fiberglass). We're thinking either stainless steel snaps or velcro - using epoxy to attach either the velcro or the snaps. are there other options? how do other folks deal with this?

#2 ·
I'd recommend adding a piece of bolt rope and adding bolt rope tracks to the inner corner of the benches. The inner corner of the benches isn't used, since most people's butts don't fit into the corner... and the track will hold the cushions securely in position

#5 ·
Hey, now this is a little bit left of centre but given that you have a relatively small boat think about this....

On our 34'er I realised that the back cushions from our settees are a near perfect fit for our cockpit seats. That works prefectly when we are at anchor and we don't need to find somewhere to stow them.

Then we keep a couple of loose cushions and a couple of these self supporting seats for when we are out sailing. We use these...

Ocean Solutions

but I've seen other brands for sale in the US. They have non skid rubber on the base so they don't slide around.

Just a thought.

#10 ·
Actually, only my back cushions are strapped, the seats have something like this sewn underneath. I think it is probably the stuff you put under a carpet to keep it from slipping, but it looks the same as non-skid drawer liner.

It's a few years old and doesn't stick like it used to. Also, it would not keep the cushion down if any significant wind got under it.

Consider that I have 14 custom cockpit cushions, between seats and backs. If I lose one, it will be all but impossible to replace it and not stick out as a replacement, so I'm a bit protective.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the responses and ideas. This gives us yet another set of "options" to discuss after a long day of work. Our cushions are entirely custom... with the hours spent bent over the walking foot sewing machine, I want to be darned sure that they don't get blown away!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.