Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-11-2010

stevemac00 is on a distinguished road
Help with packing problem

I'm getting ready to motor out the Erie Canal so I changed the packing. I didn't know the size and used 3/16 but it didn't quite fill the gap between the nut and shaft so I cut one the size of the nut and another the size of the shaft so they'ed fill the gap. The drip rate is controlled correctly but now I have some bronze dust in the bilge drain as shown in photo.

Looking for suggestions as what is causing this and what I should do to stop it. I used syntek PTFE and lube. I have some more with me so I could change it out at the next anchorage if I can identify the problem.
PSC 31 #84
Talisman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2010

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
most likely your engine/prop shaft is out of alignment compounded by too small dia. packing.don't run your engine until you correct this problem or you will ruin/score/groove your prop shaft

Last edited by sawingknots; 08-11-2010 at 08:36 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-11-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac00 View Post
I'm getting ready to motor out the Erie Canal so I changed the packing. I didn't know the size and used 3/16 but it didn't quite fill the gap between the nut and shaft so I cut one the size of the nut and another the size of the shaft so they'ed fill the gap.
Instead of going out and getting the correct size packing material? Why would you do that? Even the Gore stuff is only about $15 for enough to re-pack your stuffing box twice.

Quote:
... now I have some bronze dust in the bilge drain as shown in photo.

Looking for suggestions as what is causing this...
Looks like a stainless shaft and bronze stuffing box. My guess: The packing material is bound-up on the shaft, is spinning/turning in the stuffing box, and eating your stuffing box.

Quote:
... and what I should do to stop it.
Um... install propery-sized packing material?

Quote:
I used syntek PTFE and lube.
"Lube?" PTFE packing material requires no "lube."

Quote:
I have some more with me so I could change it out at the next anchorage ...
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results.

Suggest you obtain and install the proper size packing material before you damage your stuffing box, your prop shaft, or both. (If you haven't already.)

Jim
Old 08-11-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
+1 to Semi Jim.
Old 08-12-2010

stevemac00 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the humility Jim. In case others read this, here's what we learned. We were told our boat uses 3/16. The last time marina serviced the packing they used 3/16. Another PSC owner used 3/16. So I bought 3/16. I also bought 1/4 just in case because I knew it was likely we would be unable to have access to supplies at times.

I was able to get to a dock lastnight and remove the old 3/16 packing. It looked in perfect shape and came off without any fraying I could find. (Not much water came in and I just wrapped a towel around the shaft so it would drip instead of spraying.)

Since the inspection of the packing looked good I hesitated putting in the 1/4. It was a tight fit but I was able to get it in using the side of a wrench. After each strip I tightened the nut up to push it in. I got three strips installed and hand tightened slightly. Today there is no water dripping but I'll recheck after break in. The shaft is not hot nor was it scored.

I'm still unclear what caused the bronze dust. Perhaps there was a small piece of thread caught on the shaft and turning in the nut.
PSC 31 #84
Talisman
Old 08-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that if you're using a traditional stuffing box, regardless of the packing material, and it isn't DRIPPING...then you've overtightened more likely than not and are probably scoring the shaft. A traditional stuffing box NEEDS WATER as a lubricant, and if it isn't dripping at least a little bit, especially when the shaft is turning—it is probably running DRY. Even the GFO Goretex packing material REQUIRES SOME WATER PASSING THROUGH IT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-12-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Ours does not drip when the shaft is not turning.

This is from Don Casey:

"Water is required to lubricate conventional packing, so a properly adjusted stuffing box can be watertight when the shaft is stopped, but it must drip when the shaft is turning."

Old 08-12-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Thanks for the humility Jim.
Wasn't trying to humble you. Was trying to keep you from damaging your boat, possibly leaving yourself stranded somewhere, possibly putting yourself at the mercy of a boatyard with less-than-honourable intentions for emergency repairs, or expen$ive repairs even at a good yard.

Quote:
Since the inspection of the packing looked good I hesitated putting in the 1/4. It was a tight fit but I was able to get it in using the side of a wrench.
Without knowing your definition of "tight," I don't know if it was right or wrong. In the end I have to go back to your OP, where you wrote "...3/16 ... didn't quite fill the gap between the nut and shaft ..." and that you basically "stacked" one ring outside the other.

The packing material shouldn't be "tight," per se, but it should fill the gap between the outside of the shaft and the inside of the stuffing box. Otherwise: How could it possibly seal?

Quote:
After each strip I tightened the nut up to push it in.
That can work, but it's kind of painstaking, and you run the chance of not ending-up with the joints in each ring offset from one another.

Main Sail, I think it is, recommends fabricating a "pusher" out of rigid PVC. I just pushed mine in, gently and carefully, with a large-ish flat-bladed screw driver.

Quote:
I got three strips installed and hand tightened slightly.
Sounds right to me!

Quote:
I'm still unclear what caused the bronze dust.
Probably hard to do, but it sure would've been interesting to see the inside of your stuffing box. My guess is it's real shiny and has an ever-so-slightly larger i.d.

Hope the new packing material has you fixed up, and I apologize for coming across poorly.

You might care to peruse Main Sail's Re-Packing A Traditional Stuffing Box. Very informative.

Jim
Old 08-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, but on many boats, the stuffing box will drip very slowly when the shaft is not turning. If the stuffing box heats up noticeably when you're motoring, then it isn't being lubricated sufficiently—and you must adjust the stuffing box for when it is turning—and if it drips when the shaft isn't rotating, you just have to live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
Ours does not drip when the shaft is not turning.

This is from Don Casey:

"Water is required to lubricate conventional packing, so a properly adjusted stuffing box can be watertight when the shaft is stopped, but it must drip when the shaft is turning."

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-12-2010

DrB will become famous soon enough
Boundarys on Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Yes, but on many boats, the stuffing box will drip very slowly when the shaft is not turning. If the stuffing box heats up noticeably when you're motoring, then it isn't being lubricated sufficiently—and you must adjust the stuffing box for when it is turning—and if it drips when the shaft isn't rotating, you just have to live with it.
SD and/or others,

Curious to as to what everyone believes is "heats up noticeably" when referring to a SB. Are we talking warm to the touch, hot to the touch, a few degrees above the water temp? My SB is pretty tight as in it doesn't let in water at all when at rest. I don't know what the drip rate is, maybe a drip or two every 1 to 2 minutes when running, but after the shaft has been turning for a several minutes, the SB area doesn't feel different than the shaft a few inches above it or the coupling. Not too concerned about my set-up, just curious on the "heats up noticeably" comment.

FWIW, I am running the West Marine GTU Gore Shaft Packing Material as my SB packing. 4 wraps.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.