Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-11-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

lydanynom is on a distinguished road
Whisker pole rigging -- guys and lifts?

I tried posting this on the San Juan 21 forum and didn't get any takers so I'm trying it here. Keep in mind this is a very small boat and the pole in question weighs about 5 pounds.

I got a telescoping whisker pole from the PO when I purchased my boat, broken so that it no longer telescopes. I haven't measured, but I think it is technically a bit too long for the working jib and a bit too short for the genny. All the same, I've used it with both sails on several occasions and it definitely helped some. What I did was just clip one end to the small loop of rope dangling from the clew of either sail, I assume for that purpose, and the other to the padeye on the mast, then hauled in the windward sheet until it was somewhat taut.

I've just read some other info on using a whisker pole and there was talk of using a topping lift and foreguy to set the shape properly. Does anyone find that to be necessary or helpful on small boats?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It is helpful to use a topping lift on the pole to keep the weight of the pole from distorting the shape of the sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-11-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I'd only worry about a topper on the pole if it was actually a spin pole, they tend to be heavier. Or in really light air and you're racing non-spin.
Old 08-11-2010

Kenif is on a distinguished road
We have set the sail downwind with out the topping lift and with the topping lift and would have to say in all winds with gives better speed.

It appears to give better shape especially on the 150.
Old 08-11-2010

kjmaggie is on a distinguished road
I have a similar question. I have a topping lift for the spinnaker pole on my 1978 S2 7.3 and would like to have a foreguy as well. Any ideas on rigging the foreguy. I'm not interested in having a permanent installation (installed through the foredeck). What do you think about attaching a line side to side (via the toe rail) with a swivel block attached at the center? This would get me a better placement than running the fore guy through a block at the bow.

I currently have two blocks at the base of the mast and I'm using one for the spinnaker halyard and the other for the topping lift.

Any help is much appreciated.

Margaret
Old 08-12-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
The foreguy on my boat comes back to the cockpit. It goes through a cleat on the aft cabin top, then up to an organizer, then to a bullseye fairlead in the center of the foredeck where it goes up to the pole. Fairly simple. I would think 2 foreguys would be more work w/ no real gain.