Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-17-2010
Salty

MSter is on a distinguished road
Is'nt there an old superstition about bananas on a boat?....brings bad luck...er, or maybe just fruit flies.......
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2010

Pendle is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all who reponded. Most informative, think we'll go with one.
Old 09-20-2010
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
Why hasn't someone come out with a lower priced version. It seems like this is a pretty simple plastic device that could be made much cheaper. I would put one in my boat for around $500, but the $900 that both are selling for seems too much.

Do you get any deals on these at the boat shows?
Old 09-21-2010
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Have had a nature's head for 1.5 years or so now. It's great. Not as nice as a shore side flush toilet but MUCH better than a holding tank. Didn't like the peat moss instead use coconut bricks. Much better and they don't come with bugs!

I think the nature's head is better for a few reasons not the least of which is customer service. I called once when I was first using it and immediately the owner and designer was on the phone with some great tips. He reccomended switching to coocnut fiber and INSISTED on next day airmailing me some coconut fiber bricks. That cost him to the tune of $40 in shipping but he wanted to be SURE we were happy. Now that's service!

Whichever one you buy, get a spare pee bottle.

Also if you add an extra sink in the corner of your little room that you (hopefully) don't use for washing hands it makes for a convenient and descreet place to empty your pee bottles without offending your neighbors or making you go out in the middle of the night in the rain. This is of course only for use offshore or canada. Peeing in the water (or emptying pee down the sink) is illegal in the USA. A sink, however, is NOT an MSD and is not required to be padlocked closed etc while travelling in the USA... ;-)

Medsailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 09-21-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
MedSailor—

would point out that if you use a sink to dispose of urine, it would be considered an MSD... By definition and law, an MSD is a Marine Sanitation Device... and anything used to handle human waste is an MSD. A bucket is an MSD if you pee or poo in it...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-22-2010
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
MedSailor—

would point out that if you use a sink to dispose of urine, it would be considered an MSD... By definition and law, an MSD is a Marine Sanitation Device... and anything used to handle human waste is an MSD. A bucket is an MSD if you pee or poo in it...
Incorrect SD. I have actually READ the CFRs (code of federal regularions, ie the law that the coast guard enforses) on this topic. The terminology they use is that a MSD is a "device designed to transport or store waste." The sink, or bucket doesn't qualify. If you decide to use it as such (while offshore or in cadada)then so be it, you're using a bucket not an MSD. It's the word "designed" that is critical. Here is the CFR:

33CFR
§ 159.3 Definitions Marine sanitation device and device includes any equipment for installation on board a vessel which is designed to receive, retain, treat, or discharge sewage, and any process to treat such sewage.

It kind of reminds me of how everyone at work goes around saying that the HIPPA law doesn't let you do this or that. Only one of the doctors I work with has actually read the law....
Medsailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.