outboard on a Soling..? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 08-17-2010
Senior Member
 
14432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 196
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 10
 
If you feel the need to add an outboard, follow the advice herein of those who recommend a side mount instead of a transom mount.
14432 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 26 Old 08-17-2010
Senior Member
 
paulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: CT/ Long Island Sound
Posts: 2,748
Thanks: 4
Thanked 41 Times in 40 Posts
Rep Power: 17
 
The "long-tail" solution of a garden trimmer will be even more hassle than a side-mounted OB, with less results. Solings are pretty tough boats. We had ours for about 15 years. At CORK, it would blow 25 knots all day, and we raced Olympic courses (triangle, windward, leeward, windward) with each leg two or three miles long. After the last race of the day, we'd plane seven miles back to the harbor with the spinnaker up. If there's any wind, you won't need the motor. On Long Island Sound we know about dead air as well however. We kept an oar in our boat because paddles tended to cause blisters. It was also awkward to sit on the deck, half-turned, to paddle. Paddles with looms long enough to reach the water comfortably also tended to break, because the boat is a good deal heavier than a canoe. Sitting on the bow with a foot on each side and the rudder tied 'midships, it was easy to to keep the boat moving by sculling forward, pulling with the leverage of the long oar and using the boat's momentum to advantage. Five miles is a long way, however. I would guess three was as far as we had to paddle before we got a tow.
paulk is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #13 of 26 Old 10-14-2010
SO + Linge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Soling Outboard Mount + Suggestions

I have a 1974 Soling with an outboard mount on the side, which is easily removable. When I bought the boat, it had an old Evinrude two stroke, which weighed in at 35 lbs. I am now looking at new engines, and I think what it comes down to is either a Tohatsu 3.5hp or a Mercury 3.5. It's important to go with the long shaft editions, which are a tiny bit pricier but not much and will save you a lot of hassle. I would DEFINITELY not put a mount on the transom, I have seen photos online of how this looks on a Soling and I certainly wouldn't recommend it, for aesthetic reasons as well as functionality.

The Tohatsu is 45 lbs for the 3.5hp Longshaft, which is not bad and is manageable. When you are ready to sail, you just remove the engine and hang it underneath the deck, beneath the tiller (in front of the rear bulkhead). It's not as perfect as a Saildrive, but that's the price you pay for having such a beautiful boat with clean lines.

The Tohatsu is less expensive at around $950... I remember the Mercury with Longshaft being well over a grand.

I just went out and took a couple photos of my setup for you to get a general idea of what I'm talking about. I tried to attach them but since this is my first post in this forum they are preventing me from attaching images. I can email them to you if you like, or after one more post I will be allowed to add attachments. I also tried to post links to the engines but alas, the forum will not let me do this either as this is my first post here!

I myself am looking for a new engine, and I will be going with one of the above engines... have yet to make my decision.

Good luck and congratulations on the Soling purchase, it is one of the best daysailers around, and when she sits at the dock she looks like a mini America's Cupper... a look that certainly changes with the addition of a transom mount, haha!
tondus is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #14 of 26 Old 10-14-2010
Telstar 28
 
sailingdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 15
         
Just FYI, IIRC Tohatsu actually makes all of the Nissan, Tohatsu and MERCURY four-stroke outboards under 10 HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tondus View Post
I have a 1974 Soling with an outboard mount on the side, which is easily removable. When I bought the boat, it had an old Evinrude two stroke, which weighed in at 35 lbs. I am now looking at new engines, and I think what it comes down to is either a Tohatsu 3.5hp or a Mercury 3.5. It's important to go with the long shaft editions, which are a tiny bit pricier but not much and will save you a lot of hassle. I would DEFINITELY not put a mount on the transom, I have seen photos online of how this looks on a Soling and I certainly wouldn't recommend it, for aesthetic reasons as well as functionality.

The Tohatsu is 45 lbs for the 3.5hp Longshaft, which is not bad and is manageable. When you are ready to sail, you just remove the engine and hang it underneath the deck, beneath the tiller (in front of the rear bulkhead). It's not as perfect as a Saildrive, but that's the price you pay for having such a beautiful boat with clean lines.

The Tohatsu is less expensive at around $950... I remember the Mercury with Longshaft being well over a grand.

I just went out and took a couple photos of my setup for you to get a general idea of what I'm talking about. I tried to attach them but since this is my first post in this forum they are preventing me from attaching images. I can email them to you if you like, or after one more post I will be allowed to add attachments. I also tried to post links to the engines but alas, the forum will not let me do this either as this is my first post here!

I myself am looking for a new engine, and I will be going with one of the above engines... have yet to make my decision.

Good luck and congratulations on the Soling purchase, it is one of the best daysailers around, and when she sits at the dock she looks like a mini America's Cupper... a look that certainly changes with the addition of a transom mount, haha!

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
sailingdog is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #15 of 26 Old 10-14-2010
Me at 67
 
deniseO30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bristol pa
Posts: 7,354
Thanks: 55
Thanked 147 Times in 136 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
thinks this boat is just dying for someone to create a inboard drive with small air cooled diesel

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deniseO30 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #16 of 26 Old 10-14-2010
Telstar 28
 
sailingdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 15
         
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
thinks this boat is just dying for someone to create a inboard drive with small air cooled diesel
ya think???

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
sailingdog is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #17 of 26 Old 10-14-2010
Me at 67
 
deniseO30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bristol pa
Posts: 7,354
Thanks: 55
Thanked 147 Times in 136 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
ok water cooled then !

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deniseO30 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #18 of 26 Old 10-15-2010
SO + Linge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
ok water cooled then !
A gas saildrive would be perfect... It would be much lighter and would only be run for short periods of time. I had thought about it in the past... but I don't think I could actually bring myself to go through with such extensive modifications to such a beautiful hull...!
tondus is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #19 of 26 Old 10-15-2010
SO + Linge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Just FYI, IIRC Tohatsu actually makes all of the Nissan, Tohatsu and MERCURY four-stroke outboards under 10 HP.
VERY good to know! I think I've decided on the Tohatsu 3.5 LS for next season, then...

Last edited by tondus; 10-15-2010 at 01:19 AM.
tondus is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #20 of 26 Old 10-15-2010
Telstar 28
 
sailingdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 15
         
Quote:
Originally Posted by tondus View Post
VERY good to know! I think I've decided on the Tohatsu 3.5 LS for next season, then...
That's a great engine. I had one for several seasons, until a good friend bought it off of me for a trip to the bahamas they were taking.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
sailingdog is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to drop a mast on a soling? Ascension General Discussion (sailing related) 18 07-27-2012 07:37 AM
Pearson 31 inboard or outboard outdoorsman37 General Discussion (sailing related) 14 09-03-2010 04:58 PM
Outboard / Rudder Tiller Steering radioguy Gear & Maintenance 8 08-15-2010 08:20 PM
Help needed! anybody have a Soling or similar boat nearby? Ascension General Discussion (sailing related) 2 08-09-2010 09:55 AM
Outboard motor maintenance mpc7002 Gear & Maintenance 6 08-04-2010 07:52 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome