Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-18-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Speedseal MkII

Those of you who are Practical Sailor readers will have already seen this but I've only just received my copy. (Its hard living in the far flung corners of Her Majesty's Empire.)

I've been thinking of installing a Speedseal for some time...since the last plastic bag incident in fact. Methinks I'm happy I waited (wot me ? procrastinate ? oh surely not !!) cos they now have the MKII version which according to the blurb can run dry for up to ten mintues without destroying the impellor. Looks good.

Anyone using one of these things ?

Failing that I'll report back when ours arrives. Just don't hold your breath, we are after all in the aforementioned antipodes so it could take a week or five.

http://www.speedseal.com/SpeedsealLi...estResults.pdf

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Ok, received and fitted. Looks the goods. Dead easy to fit.

Interesting point....I wonder whether a cheaper alternative might simply be to swap standard impellor cover screws with knurled head bolts as per Speedseal.

OK so you don't have the benefits of the SS run dry business but even so.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One issue is that you have to remove all the screws with a standard cover, but not with the speedseal cover plate. That makes replacing the cover much easier, especially if access to the impeller cover area is limited.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-15-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Point taken SD, but even so doing away with the need to use a screwdriver would be an improvement even on a standard cover.

Old 09-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
True that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Point taken SD, but even so doing away with the need to use a screwdriver would be an improvement even on a standard cover.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-15-2010

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
I installed the Speedseal Life this past spring. The reason is that the impeller on my boat is brutally hard to get to and it's basically a "done by feel" deal.
The new cover is 3 pieces besides the screws. A brass cover, a washer and a PTFE disk which acts like a lubricant in addition an additional lubricant packet is sent along product. These three pieces fit nicely together but don't really stay snap into place so when your tilting the assembled cover to mount on the pump the parts all slide around. Finally once you have everything tightened up you have to hope everything stayed together and is in the right place. It really made me consider if the older version was a better choice. I also found the printed instructions to be poor. Bottom line is it works as far as a good seal with no leaks. As to the claim of being able to run dry I can't answer.

Welcome to Speedseal Technical Details
2007 Hunter 49
Old 09-15-2010
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
One of the first things I added to my Westerbeast was a SpeedSeal MKI. With the aft facing cover & tiny screws, it would be very challenging to try to pull the impeller in an emergency situation.

Now I can do it practicably blindfolded

The MKII looks like a good improvement, looks like I'll be looking into a retrofit.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 09-15-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
We have the Speedseal on our raw water pump (alas, not the new fancy one that Wombat got).

It is somewhat handy, and does make things easier. But because the raw water pump is "backwards" on our engine, it's not as handy as it could be if the pump were turned around so the plate was facing forward.

The new Yanmar 3HM30Fs have rotated the raw water pumps so the plate is forward. That would be a nice set-up with the Speedseal.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-15-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Speedseal do offer a retro fit to convert MkI to MkII.

I agree with Brezzin that I'd hate to try and fit the MKII if I couldn't see the housing. Methinks that the older version would be better in this instance.

Old 05-12-2011

alspeed is on a distinguished road
Speedseal supply the grease which secures the bearing discs so that they will not move on assembly - very secure