Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-19-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
flip flops

I recently retired my trusty flip flops--a pair of quicksilvers that lasted darn near a decade. While buying a new pair wasnt a life changing event, i did look at a few brands.... reef and rainbow before i bought a pair of sperry's. well, ive had them right around two months and they are falling apart a bit. the cover that hits the underside of my foot is already peeling away. while i do wear them everyday, i dont think ive been unduly hard on them. im gonna contact sperry and see what they say, and ill post how that interaction goes. anybody have a fav. brand that will last?

thanks Q

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I'd go with the quickslivers. Tried and true, baby, tried and true.

Or you could score some Tiddies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-19-2010
Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da :)

Sixpoint is on a distinguished road
Always been a fan of Tiddies, myself.

And yes, that is a shameless, corny double entendre, just like the designers intended. That is to say I'm a fan of the sandals also.
Old 08-19-2010
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Wow 10 years out of a pair of flip flops? Did they wear out or did the EPA force you to trash them ? I prefer Sperry's but they only last 2-3 yrs. Now have a pair of Keens which are comfortable and provide a good grip on deck but they have a smooth leather foot surface that is just too slippery for my taste. Hate walking any distance in them.
Old 08-19-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
hmm.... guess more Tiddies are better than less... and yes, I believe at the end I was a walking EPA violation... worst thing is I actually donated them to the Salvation Army.

Oh and if anyone ever sees me sporting those infernal grocs, just put me down like a lame horse.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 08-19-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
... worst thing is I actually donated them to the Salvation Army..
Dude. That is so wrong.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-19-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I've vowed to avoid buying a Sperry product again. Between my wife and I, we have three pairs of Sperry docksider type boat shoes that allow figure skating on our deck after the 1st season. I still have a pair of Sperry "performance" type shoes that are still useable going on their second season and a pair of Figawi boots that have yet to be worn but are a year old. Sperry seems to have mastered the art of planned obsolescence.

I'll try someone eles product next time. They may not turn out to be any better but at least I won't feel like I'm banging my head against the wall and wondering why it hurts.

As for "hocker-flockers", I have a pair of West Marine brand that are still going after 4 seasons and are still grippier than the Sperry docksiders though I don't wear them while actively sailing.
Old 08-19-2010
Salty Dog

Saildoggie is on a distinguished road
Had some Sperrys fall apart as well.

REALLY happy with Keen flip flops, the added toe protection is awesome as well, if you buuy them from Zappos they allso have a one year return policy with fre ship back and replacement if there is a defect:

These work great for me:

Keen Waimea H2 - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

Old 08-19-2010
Senior Moment

doubleeboy is on a distinguished road
Keen soles make a mess of our gel coat and untreated teak seats. It may just be the gel coat on our boat, but Keen shoes in particular mark like crazy, contrary to the info on their sole. Guests are asked not to show up wearing them. Ironically some Sperry shoes mark also, like the spinnaker. Topsiders or the WM imitation work fine for us.

michael
Old 08-19-2010

southshoreS24 is on a distinguished road
rainbows are great! you have to get the all leather ones, the flat type, not the newer ones with the thicker sole. they have a guarantee for as long as the sole lasts they will repair them in anyway until you ware out the bottom.

http://www.rainbowsandals.com/PremierLeathers.aspx

I have been happy with reef sandals recently but the do not last too long. rainbows are the way to go!

with specialty boating shoes the bottoms tend to give you much better traction on the boat and decks but the trade off is much softer rubber and they ware out from the bottom quicker. kind of like a good pair of tennis sneakers, if used for tennis they wont last very long but they will serve their purpose very well. the Sperry products are designed to give you grip in extreme boating and wet situations so they have softer soles and when worn other then on the boat they will ware out really quickly on pavement. its all trade offs as to how much you want to spend, how comfortable you want to be, how much traction and where, and how long you want them to last.

Last edited by southshoreS24; 08-19-2010 at 10:50 AM.