Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-20-2010

solman55 is on a distinguished road
LED Navigation Lights

Hey guys I need to put a new masthead light on my boat it went out so I decided when I have my rather large bottom side up the mast I would put in a new unit and install a new vhf antenna up there mine is currently zip-tied to the back of the boat which works but I think it would be much better on the mast for obvious reasons. Anyway ramble ramble, I want to find out what would be my best bet on a high quality led masthead light and install new wire in the mast so any tips and some ideas on good companies, links to some high quality wire and coax cable for the VHF antenna. I know I must be driving you guys crazy but your full of great info so thanks for the help. I want to use a company that makes masthead lights and all nav lights in led so that I can use the same company for my entire boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Are you looking for a masthead light or an anchor light? An anchor light is mounted at the top of the mast for all around visibility. A masthead light, or steaming light is mounted about halfway up the mast and is visible from forward only.
Old 08-20-2010

Its the masthead light about halfway up just a white light. I don't have an anchor light which I find odd, I guess I would just hang a lantern up the mast.
Old 08-20-2010

If you are going to the top to install a vhf antenna and run its cable you could add an anchor light and run its wiring at the same time.
Old 08-20-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Try Aquasignal's Series 32 fixtures... they're reasonably priced and USCG approved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-21-2010

JGood point so where would I put my anchor light at and what's the best way to mount it?
Old 08-21-2010

Right on the masthead. Anchor lights designed for sailboats usually come with a mounting base like the Hella shown below. Measurements are metric.
Attached Thumbnails
LED Navigation Lights-1.jpg   LED Navigation Lights-2.jpg  

Last edited by mitiempo; 08-21-2010 at 12:52 AM. Reason: add
Old 10-29-2010

Hey guys I was wondering, I guess I have been calling the masthead light by the wrong name it is about halfway up and points straight out, so what is that? And mounting an anchor light may be a little difficult up all the way at the top cause the cables and pulleys are up there, as you know, so where would I mount it?
Thanks

My Journey to find instability living aboard.
Watkins 27 CB
S/V Tipsy Gypsy
Old 10-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The "masthead" light that you're describing is actually a STEAMING LIGHT, called such because it is required for boats under power—or under "steam".

As for mounting an anchor light at the mast top, it usually isn't an issue, since most masts have a masthead truck or casting that would allow a place to mount the anchor light.

Here's a photo of the masthead truck of my boat, and the shoddy job of mounting the LED tricolor that Peter Kennedy Yacht Services did.

You may need to fashion a mounting bracket to mount the light to the masthead truck. Just don't do a crappy job like Peter Kennedy Yacht Services did. The mounting bracket they charged me $40 is a piece of rough aluminum scrap that isn't even wide enough for the anchor light to mount to properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solman55 View Post
Hey guys I was wondering, I guess I have been calling the masthead light by the wrong name it is about halfway up and points straight out, so what is that? And mounting an anchor light may be a little difficult up all the way at the top cause the cables and pulleys are up there, as you know, so where would I mount it?
Thanks

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-29-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Can't see the pics from work, subscribing...

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.