Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-22-2010

Stephane99 is on a distinguished road
Navico WP5000 Autopilot "beeps non stop"

I have a WP5000 autopilot that has been working fine for the last couple of years, this year, the first time I tried to use it, when I connected it, the beeping alert came on and it will not stop, the red light comes on, nothing I do stop the beep (alert) and the pilot doesn't work at all. I still have the manual but nothing there either, read the info and nothing around my problem.

I know it has power, does anyone had that problem before? I am thinking of testing all the wiring over the winter, take the thing apart, I suspect that I may have a broken wire in one of these cables, anyone ever attempted this ?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2010

PhilipStevens is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to PhilipStevens
Navico was a British company taken over by Simrad (I believe) and as such, you may get an answer if you post on the UK Practical Boat Owner's Reader to Reader - Yachting and Boating World Forums site.

You will have to subscribe to post - just as on here.

regards,
Philip
Old 01-10-2011

opelu2 is on a distinguished road
Did you get a reply from Simrad? I'm having a similar problem with my Navicio WP5000. When I first power the unit, autopilot will engaged for a few minutes, then it'll continuously beep. If I turn it off and on again, it'll beep
continuously, until I shutdown down for a hour or longer. Sounds like an internal circuitry problem.

anyone know where I can get a replacement main unit?
Old 01-24-2011

Clipper36 is on a distinguished road
Mine did that after the control unit got scrunched against the mizzen mast by the main sheet block. I took it apart and found one of the buttons was on constantly. If you can't get yours to work I might consider buying it for spare parts.
Old 03-12-2011

jimmylam is on a distinguished road
I took the control unit apart and checked the buttons, but unfortunately the buttons are not stuck. I really don't want the big $$$ to buy an entirely new auto-pilot, plus the added installation cost. If anyone has a used control unit for sale, please let me know.
Old 03-13-2011
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
I have the Navico 5000 powerpilot and had an issue with it that turned out simply to be a disconnected wire from the control box to the hydraulic pump. I would press the button to engage the pilot and the LED light would flash and nothing would happen. No beeping.

I would address it by checking the wiring first. In my setup, there were these connectors in the harness that can separate as they are not connected with crimp on connectors. I tried contacting present day Simrad for assistance (no help as the PowerPilot was made by a company who was sold to other companies 3 times before the present-day Simrad bought it). If you find the wiring ok, there is a British company (Richard Tinley Electronics) that will recondition and fix the various components of this unit. I found out about him on the Cruiser's list. He's not cheap but he is responsive and if he can fix the electronic control box, he'll let you know. I have this for contact: electronics@tinley.net I have no idea if still current. If this doesn't work, try looking for parts on e-bay as things do become available. Barring all else, bite the bullet and buy a new unit which probably would still use your hydraulic pump. I would suggest looking at Furuno. Good luck!

Tod

Last edited by Gladrags1; 03-13-2011 at 07:07 AM.