Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-23-2010

ChicagoLifer is on a distinguished road
I think I broke my transmission? (1994 Hunter 29.5)

So its been a few weeks, the boat is still floating, looks 100% better too after a few days just cleaning it.

However, as we are motoring back into the harbor this past weekend, and slowly pulled up to the mooring buoy to end the day - it occurred to me that reverse is no longer working the boat. In fact, when throttling into reverse, the boat travels faster forward.

I have searched high and low for an answer on the forums, but haven't found anything... Which is somewhat disheartening because it means I have done something that moast have not. I am not completely incompetent around mechanical systems, however - I haven't the slightest idea about how to fix this.

Also - can someone explain how the shifting should work, because if I am doing something wrong, I would like to know... I have been figuring out this boat as I am on it, no manuals, no previous owner, etc... I got the prop engage/disengage figured out (day 1). And I understand not to shift between forward and reverse without throttling back comepletely - maybe its the use of the lever on the throttle arm? I have been pulling that up - but honestly do not know what it is.

Anyone got a manual for this boat that can be emailed BTW?

Thanks for any help, and also not hammering on me too much...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Sounds like a simple fix of the cable which moves the shift linkage which is either broken or loose. It is an easy fix if so, however, if you are not mechanically inclined and familiar with the setup, it is difficult to explain. The good news is that is should not be expensive to have someone do it and watch and learn.
Old 08-23-2010
Alan Grand Slam Yacht

AlanGSYS is on a distinguished road
It's gotta be in the linkage??? Check the cable that connects the shifter at the tranny itself. If you can get it on a dock and tie it tight, can you start the engine, then go below and manually move the shift lever on the side of the transmission from neutral to forward, then back to neutral and then into reverse? If you can move this lever (vise grips attached??) and you can get it into forward and reverse then the problem is with the linkage from the helm to the attachment point on the side of the transmission.

If it does not operate properly by directly moving the shift lever right at the transmission then it is probably in the transmission itself and I'm already in over my head. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
But don't do this test while on the mooring.. better tied at a dock and do fwd, neut, and rev with the engine at low idle speed. just to be safe

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-24-2010
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Always keep an eye on those cables and connectors and clamps. Early this season I was backing into my slip at the precise speed at which I wanted to hit the dock, and when I tried to shift into forward to kill my residual backwards speed, the cable slipped out of the hold-down clamp.

Luckily I was done with maneuvering; imagine the hijinks that would have ensued if that had happened one or two tranny shifts earlier.

Now whenever I open the raw water input I take a look at the shifter and make sure everything is snug.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Old 08-25-2010

Problem Figured Out?

Thanks for all the replies... I spent a few hours yesterday taking apart the pedestal to get at the linkage, and also figuring out where the gearbox, cable, levers, etc, are. I think I found the problem, and after having someone give me a hand today verifying it I think I need a new control cable. The jacket for the cable came into contact with the exhaust manifold/pipe on the starboard side of the engine and melted. The steel cable inside exposed and moving, and the gearbox lever and pedestal shift lever move cleanly. But I think that the jacket needs to be fully intact for the control cable to shift properly... I have searched other forums and Googled it to death for brands of control cables and found Morse and one other that can be used. However I cannot find a critical piece of information:

1. How long is the cable that I need for a 1994 Hunter 29.5 gearbox control?
Old 08-25-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
As long as the one you have now?
Old 08-25-2010

Yeah - that's a great answer.

However, I am trying to do all this in one shot - removing the existing cable and replacing it with the new. I do not want to have to open and feed a cable into and out of the nether regions of the boat twice ~
Old 08-25-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
You should be able to measure it pretty accurately by following the route with a tape measure.
Old 08-26-2010

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
You can use shorter or longer cables. It is best to select a new length so that it will not touch your exhaust and burn again.