Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-23-2010

4arch is on a distinguished road
Upgrading screw base light fixtures to LED

I have some old 12v lights like these:

And I'd like to upgrade them to LED. I know Sailor's Solutions sells a screw base adapter that's compatible with the SensiBulb so that's not a problem but what is an issue would be getting the old clip on shades to stay in place without a regular old fashioned light bulb to hold them on. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? Would I be better off changing the entire fixture?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2010

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
I just replaced the three screw-base lights that I had on my boat. I use Gala LED reading lamps (http://www.sailorsams.com/mall/gala_led_incnav.asp). I got the gold-plated bronze because their price can't be beat. I ended up ordering two more and replaced the reading lights in the V-berth. They have both a good spot for reading and the glass gives a nice ambient light. On top of that, they are a very nice looking light. I am very happy with the upgrade.

I have no connection to sailorsams.com other than being a satisfied customer.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 08-23-2010

RobertKWFL is on a distinguished road
Dr. LED sells the Edison Sidekick bulb, which is the same form factor as a standard round screw base bulb. I have several of the same traditional fixtures on board, and the 3 watt Sidekick bulbs work perfectly in them. Nice warm white light.
Old 08-23-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Allan
Your link did not work. Here is one that does. Click on "120 Lumen LED" on the main page.
SailorSams.com: 12 Volt LED Lights, Small Microwave, Marine Refrigerators, Coffee Maker, Electric Cooktops, Dock Cushions, Dock Lights, Dock Ladders, Shrink Wrap for Boats, Equipment, RV's.
Old 08-24-2010

It appears that the SailorSams lights would give off a very different kind of light from what I have now as they look to be more of a directional reading light. The fixtures I'm looking to replace are in the galley and next to the head sink and give off a nice diffuse general light that illuminates the entire areas.

The Dr. LED Edison Sidekick looks appealing but it's unfortunate that they don't seem to have any specs on how many lumens it provides.
Old 08-24-2010

Mitempo that is the the light. Don't know why my link didn't work, I guess that is just one of the mysteries of the internet!

These lights give both a spot and nice ambient light. The lights turn around so I can point them at the ceiling and get reflected light too. They are a nice, warm LED light. They made the interior look better, too.

I've never lighted those screw-base lamps with the clip on shades. They always seem to get knocked off. I have dome lights in my galley that I am putting LED bulbs in. I also plan to install some LED strip lights in my galley to light up the sink and stove areas better. When I am done, I should be able to run every interior light for less amps than running one of the old lights.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

Old 08-24-2010

I think I'll give the SailorSams lights a try. In addition to the Gala they had some other options that could work for me. In the galley I might need to add an LED dome light on the ceiling.
Old 08-25-2010

I placed two orders with SailorSams and both shipped very quickly. I was quite happy with them. They have several nice lighting options. I have two dome lights in my galley but still have some dark corners. I found some adhesive backed LED light strips that I plan to use for lighting up those areas. If it works, I have some ideas for other places on the boat for ambiance lighting.

After that, I plan on upgrading all my nav and anchor lights to LED.I'm not going to change my masthead light as I run it when the engine is running. My spreader lights are not a priority to change either. I look forward to the reduced power draw of the LED lights.

Old 08-25-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Just an FYI...

On Sunday night, I ordered online some LED Polar Star bulbs from Dr. LED. I got them in the mail Tuesday. I really appreciate the fast turn-around since I wanted a couple of them for the mast which will be stepped today or tomorrow. Very quick and easy service.

Given that service, I plan on ordering a lot more replacement bulbs from them.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-25-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
I'm glad you asked the question 4arch. I have a half dozen of those fixtures myself that currently have those curley flourescent bulbs in them, but I'm not wild about the amount of light I get out of them. Please give us a report on the results of any solutions you come up with.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.