Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-26-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I agree with epoxy coating marine ply and going with that..If you get a couple good coats on.... water will for all practical purposes have zero chance of entry....It will last longer then you want to keep the boat lets put it that way.

A simple step that if all manufactures would have done it back in the day, would have saved mamy a heartake for ownwers down the road.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2010

Brimurr727 is on a distinguished road
bulkhead 727

Hey TintedChrome, I did a bulkhead and mast plate reconstruction on my Northstar 727 back in 2001. I still have the boat and race it all the time on Lake Ontario. Where are you?
I could explain in detail how I did it but want to make sure you are still looking for assistance before I write it all up. Alternatively you could contact me for info on this and whatever else you would like to know about this great little boat. Send me an email and i'll give you my phone number so we can speak one on one. I have 10 years of experience on this boat and would be happy to share what I have learned. I think I still have a set of templates for the keel laying around if you plan on attacking the bottom at some point. The bulkhead replacement was tough work but I did not cut on the boat or liner at all as I replaced it in three pieces.
I just removed all the hardware from the deck and painted it this past spring. I also ordered new sails for next season from Haarstick so I plan on keeping it a few more years; at least till the kids get done with college. Anyway, look me up if you want my help. As I said I'd be happy to help out anyway I can.
Brian
They wont let me place an email address until I have 2 posts to my credit. watch for new posts
Old 09-01-2010

Anyway this is a great littel boat. I have been very successful racing it on Lake Ontario
Old 09-01-2010

Bulkhead replacement

@gmail.comBrimurr727 someone was nice enough to remind me about spam bots. rearrange it to email me. Thanks Stillraining! Am inept with the electronics in my life. Thank God for folks like you and my teenage daughter.
Brimurr727

Last edited by Brimurr727; 09-02-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-01-2010

BTW i've got hull #33
Old 09-01-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
FWIW you may want to reconfigure that email address so spam bots don't get it.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 09-01-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I've repaired both the port and starboard bulkheads on Victoria. On the port side, the entire bulkhead was replaced. On the starboard side, I replaced a small section. In both cases, the new sections were tabbed to the hull. I used exterior 1/2" high density ply and laminated it with formica (port side) and teak (starboard side). The panels were tabbed into the hull with high density roving and West epoxy. All in all, it's not really a hard job. PMM me if youy have questions.

Photos follow:

S/V Victoria Head Reconstruction

VICTORIA Starboard Bulkhead Repair
Old 09-02-2010

I know a few of the North of border 727s. Who did you buy it from, if you don't mind my asking.
Brimurr727
Old 09-02-2010
Underwater Basket Weaver

TintedChrome is on a distinguished road
Sabreman: Thanks for the info! It's always great to see how people do certain jobs!

Brimur: The offer for assistance is greatly appreciated I have a fair idea of how to attack the problem, but would love to hear your take on it. I'll be sending you an email separately..

Where on Lake Ontario are you? Boat's in Whitby, but it'll move to a storage yard in Toronto in October, and moored there next May.

As for the story behind the boat - I bought it from a kid who had grand dreams and little money to fix the issues..

The story behind the boat is quite interesting actually (which leads me to think you probably don't know this particular boat)..

About 5 years ago, boat shows up at the marina in Whitby, Ontario in transit from Montreal Quebec. Guy says he wants a slip for the night and he'll be gone in the morning. He ties up the boat, leaves to go get groceries or something, and never comes back.

Eventually the marina seized the boat, sold it at auction to one of its employees who already had 3, and he sells it to his friend as a "great way to get into sailing". Unfortunately for him, he's bitten off more than he can chew, and can't afford the storage fees, etc.. after 3 years, I got the boat for the current season's outstanding fees and a case of beer.

She's rough, but the bones are good, and she's complete. No delam in the hull, no oilcanning, no blisters, decks are rock hard.. Not to say there aren't some issues here and there, but the boat is far from rotten. Stanchion bases are still great with no softness - only the area where the chainplates enter the hull requires recoring/rebedding.. I'm sure I'll get some nasty surprises (and actually expect some), but overall I'm extremely happy with her.

In case you know the boat, her original name was Lickety Split..
Hull #37

I can't imagine mastering the skills involved here without a clearer understanding of who's going to be impressed.
Old 09-03-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
One small comment regarding the type of plywood.....

When I started repairing our bulkheads, I went in search of marine ply. Since I live about 70 miles from the marina, it is very difficult to acquire marine ply in our home area. I really didn't want to make a special purchase through a local mill yard due to the extreme cost. I used my wife as a sounding board and she asked why it had to be waterproof. I replaied that it was for the boat, etc. When she pointed out that this was for an interior use and should NEVER be wet, the logic was hard to dispute.

I know that this is sacrilegious, but I went with a high grade, multi-ply (7 layers) exterior plywood. I feel that for interior applications that will not come in contact with water, exterior ply is adequate. Indeed, Sabre used marine ply and due to leaky chainplates, it rotted. So it seemed to me that if I keep the chainplates sealed properly, I had nothing to worry about. So far, there is no issue with either bulkhead and I expect that there will be none in the future.

On the other hand, if I was building a plywood boat, marine ply is the only way to go. It's just that marine ply didn't do us much good in the original application so I didn't feel a need to get too twisted about using "Marine" ply - exterior ply was sufficient for an interior application.