Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-24-2010
Underwater Basket Weaver

TintedChrome is on a distinguished road
Need advice on bulkhead replacement..

So both bulkheads on my Northstar Farr 727 need replacing and I have a couple of questions.

The boat has a fiberglass inner liner on both sides of each bulkhead and everything I've read so far indicates that these liners aren't structural. In order to properly cut out the bulkheads, I'm imagining I'm going to have to cut out portions of the liner on each side (the entire galley area in the first and second pic for example) using a rotozip or some such tool, and 'glass these sections back in when I'm done. Is this how you guys would do it? Or would you subject yourselves to contorting like an epileptic snake in tiny spaces?

I'm also unsure how to proceed where the bulkhead is (more than likely- or at least SHOULD be) tabbed to the deck. The headliner is one big solid fiberglass piece from the anchor locker to the companionway and if I cut out that middle section it would be a royal PITA to 'glass back in. Any advice on how to tackle that?

Lastly, I fully intend on rebedding the chainplates and taking the time to do a proper job of sealing her up tight. But I never want to have to do this again.. other than G10/FR-4 fiberglass board (which seems extremely expensive at $1000+ for a 4x8x.750 sheet - if you have sources for cheaper by all means let me know!), is there any material other than wood that I can use that won't rot or otherwise compromise the strength and rigidity of the boat? The lack of the "wood" look is not a concern - there's going to be enough of it elsewhere (and some small cabinetry on the bulkheads) to keep the cabin "warm".

I've attached some pics to give you an idea of what I'm working with.. the v-berths on the other side are of similar construction and attach the same way to the hull/bulkhead as starboard berth in the 3rd pic, but it's its own seperate liner. Don't mind the skinny guy bent over in the pics- I'm obviously too engrossed by something to get out of the way when the girlfriend took these.

Hull #37

I can't imagine mastering the skills involved here without a clearer understanding of who's going to be impressed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2010

xsboats is on a distinguished road
The bulkheads could have been inserted between the sections of interior liner before the deck was installed. I have found that, by reversing the construction process, I have the best access for the repair. Look closely to see if the bulkheads are tabbed in to the hull or sandwiched in to the interior.
Old 08-24-2010
Underwater Basket Weaver

Thanks xsboats.. they're tabbed to the hull, which is why I immediately thought of cutting out portions of the liner for access.
Hull #37

I can't imagine mastering the skills involved here without a clearer understanding of who's going to be impressed.
Old 08-24-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Check out
Amazon.com: Spurr's Boatbook: Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat (9780070605541): Daniel Spurr:…

it has a great section about using one of these

Matching Curves With A Tick Stick

spurr's book also has a great section on rebedding those plates...

good luck

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 08-24-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
this is probably gives a better idea than the second link above....

Wooden Boat Renovation: New Life for ... - Google Books

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 08-24-2010
Underwater Basket Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
Check out
Amazon.com: Spurr's Boatbook: Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat (9780070605541): Daniel Spurr:Ö

it has a great section about using one of these

Matching Curves With A Tick Stick

spurr's book also has a great section on rebedding those plates...

good luck
Awesome! Just took a quick look and ended up ordering the book for ~$15.. Should be here in a week..

Thanks for the tick stick info - I was wondering how I was going to reproduce those curves seeing as these bulkheads will more than likely self destruct when i remove them..

... and this is why I come to sailnet.. always good advice here Keep it comin'!
Hull #37

Old 08-25-2010

crossbowme is on a distinguished road
Just Google it - there's some really good replies from Boat Design and some guy rebuilding his Cal 2-29 (really good pictures). I looked it up yesterday.
Old 08-26-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Perhaps I missed it but why are you replacing the entire bulkhead? If you have some rot (perhaps from poorly bedded chainplates), it would seem wiser, and much easier, to cut out the damaged material and replace it with a sistered backing panel than to attempt to replace the whole business, no?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-26-2010
Underwater Basket Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
Just Google it - there's some really good replies from Boat Design and some guy rebuilding his Cal 2-29 (really good pictures). I looked it up yesterday.
I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon trying to google this particular thread, and looking for it on BoatDesign.. I found a really informative one on a guy with rot and termite problems on a Cal 25, but not the one you mentioned.. Care to link an obviously poor googler up?

svHyLyte: The pics are deceiving. The bulkheads rotted from the bottom up because of some previous standing water in the boat (thank you PO!). The damage on the port side is what you see aft looking forward. If that's all there was I'd do what you suggested and just cut out the section. Unfortunately, when you look at these from the bow looking aft, they're completely delaminated and spongy from the bottom to about 6-12" from the headliner, depending on the spot. Above that is solid, but without more solid material to work with I'd rather just replace the whole thing.
Hull #37

Old 08-26-2010
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

cghubbell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TintedChrome View Post
...But I never want to have to do this again.. other than G10/FR-4 fiberglass board (which seems extremely expensive at $1000+ for a 4x8x.750 sheet - if you have sources for cheaper by all means let me know!), is there any material other than wood that I can use that won't rot or otherwise compromise the strength and rigidity of the boat? The lack of the "wood" look is not a concern - there's going to be enough of it elsewhere (and some small cabinetry on the bulkheads) to keep the cabin "warm".
If it were me, I would use marine plywood, and seal it up with a few overcoats of clear epoxy, obviously paying particular attention to the endgrain. If I were feeling good about my time and budget, I would add a step of layering on a sheet of cloth over it to aid in the sealing up. It's pretty tough to beat plywood for cost, strength, etc. It also takes a long time to get really damaged in this situation considering that its horizontal. So if you are addresing the boats other issues, I would think that this would be a one-time repair for you whether using G10 or plywood.

I'm in the middle of a stripped-to-the-hull refit at the moment, and have had some similar decisions, although far less dramatic than yours. I'm pretty happy with the strength and durability of plywood, especially when weighed against the cost of pre-made fiberglass board. I'm only using that stuff for backing plates.

-Chris
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.